Hello, eh

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Benavis

1-IMG_4948.JPG

Canadian here just coming out of the deep freeze called winter. I have been a finch breeder for 56 years. A member of the UK Australian Finch Society and a looker for knowledge on finch breeding. I presently have around 42 Gouldians with only 6 being mutated. Normal Star Finches, Normal and Fawn Shaftails and some Orange Cheeked, Gold-breasted, Waxbills and Strawberry Finches. I have in the past bred Owl and Chestnut Breasted with a couple of pair of Crimson Finches that I never did have breed. My other interest is in doves with Diamond, Emerald Spotted, Cape, and Tambourine Doves. I run a Facebook page called Canadian Dove Association.

All my birds are kept indoors for two reasons, the short summer and the risk of mosquito born illnesses with the need for screening.
This brings up concerns about lighting, humidity, air quality.

Crimson Finches, Parsons and some of the other Australian Finches are very hard to find in Canada and really expensive if you are lucky enough to find them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I guess that you would have to supply Vitamin d to compensate for no natural light? And you probably still have access to more Aussie finches that we in Australia do in the way of Canadian finches. Welcome to the forum.
LML
LML
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello, welcome to the forum. It's always fascinating to see how people in other countries and climates approach finch keeping.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi & Welcome to the Forum :wave:
Benavis

finchbreeder wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 09:53 I guess that you would have to supply Vitamin d to compensate for no natural light? And you probably still have access to more Aussie finches that we in Australia do in the way of Canadian finches. Welcome to the forum.
LML
Thanks, it is illegal to keep Canadian Finches without a special permit. The permit requires a scientific reason as to why you need to keep them and is seldom granted to individuals. My birds get all kinds of vitamins contained in commercial egg food mixes. The bird in the picture is a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak and it is migratory. In ringing birds I have experienced their beaks more than a few times. I have never heard of them being kept in captivity.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”