Question from 1st timer

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Finchfam

Hi folks.
I have just set up 2 suspended aviaries in Brisbane and I'm trying to work out if they are protected enough. They are under my house which is on a gentle slope. At the back of the house it is about 1.4m from ground level and has no walls underneath. My aviaries are 2.1m long, 1.2m wide and 1.1m high. They are situated at the N W corner, get the morning sun and have sunlight at the front all day with full sunlight leading up to sunset. The southern halves of the aviaries are covered on the walls and ceiling and fully protected from breeze. I have Gouldians and a pair of Cordon bleus . My question is do my birds need any more protection from the cold?
When all is said and done, more is said than done.
Tiaris

Sounds like they are well protected from what you have said.
Craig52

As suspended are the floors solid ? if not this will cause a few problems with rodents etc.
Finchfam

Craig52 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 09:29 As suspended are the floors solid ? if not this will cause a few problems with rodents etc.
Hi. Thanks for your question.Yes they are solid as in rodent-proof. All mesh is 6.5mm rodent mesh. And I've paid careful attention to the aviary doors to ensure they are also rodent / snake proof.
Michael
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Smart thinking Michael. What finches do you intend to house? And Welcome to the Forum.
LML
LML
Finchfam

finchbreeder wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 10:21 Smart thinking Michael. What finches do you intend to house? And Welcome to the Forum.
LML
Thank you for your welcome. I think all estrildids are special. I can't go past Gouldians as my favourite finch. Their natural colouration would be enough but their nesting behaviour and amazing colour mutation genetics are also compelling. I also really like Double-barred finches for their affectionate disposition. Those aside, over time I'd like to try my hand at several species as I become more experienced in finch keeping. Do you have any suggestions on other suitable species for a relative beginner? I should add that as a boy I kept 4 different low maintenance Australian species with moderate success.
Tiaris

Some good species which are not too challenging & are placid easy mixers are Ruddies, Orangebreasts, & Painteds.
As long as you don't dive into too many at once and overfill your aviaries they will then have the best chance of success.
noah.till

Give some species a go like possibly Nuns (Munias), Singers, Saint Helenas and maybe some of the Rarer Aussie finches, Just a suggestion
Thanks
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Finchfam

Sorry I'm having some teething issues using the forum software. Pretty funny for a software developer. I thought I had posted this reply and I'm not sure if I have and it requires approval or if I'm doing something stupid. Anyway I am interested in Orange breasts and I was wondering if there are any special sensitivities I need to be aware of - for example disease susceptibility? Thx, Michael
Tiaris

No, OBs are hardy little birds. Winter breeders. Love red panicum.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”