New Member Introduction

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
pyrttp

Nearly there...finally... Starting to think about finch types and numbers.

I am keen to keep to Australian natives. So in addition to the Gouldians, Painteds, Stars and pair of Bourke’s parrot that I have, thinking pairs of, one or more of diamond, long tail and blue faced parrots. Maybe keep a pair or two in current smaller aviary for duration of this breeding season, given they all already have young in their nests.

Comfortably, what are people’s thoughts on how many pairs I should constrain myself too in the new aviary? I don’t want it being overcrowded. The plan is to have 3-4 potted Grevillea in there too. 5 - 6 pairs plus Bourke’s to many?

Any other recommendations on Australian natives I should consider are welcome.

Cheers,
Trent
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The potted Grevilleas are a good idea. Have you thought of potted seeding grasses? You could then rotate the pots out for a clean and a bit of relief from the birds attentions. But before taking out, always check very carefully that there are no occupied nests in them.
LML
LML
pyrttp

finchbreeder wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 23:09 The potted Grevilleas are a good idea. Have you thought of potted seeding grasses? You could then rotate the pots out for a clean and a bit of relief from the birds attentions. But before taking out, always check very carefully that there are no occupied nests in them.
LML
I have tried grasses previously with not much luck, but with a bigger and more open aviary might be worth trying again. 👍

Any specific varieties you prefer?

Cheers,
Trent
noah.till

pyrttp wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 22:49 Nearly there...finally... Starting to think about finch types and numbers.

I am keen to keep to Australian natives. So in addition to the Gouldians, Painteds, Stars and pair of Bourke’s parrot that I have, thinking pairs of, one or more of diamond, long tail and blue faced parrots. Maybe keep a pair or two in current smaller aviary for duration of this breeding season, given they all already have young in their nests.

Comfortably, what are people’s thoughts on how many pairs I should constrain myself too in the new aviary? I don’t want it being overcrowded. The plan is to have 3-4 potted Grevillea in there too. 5 - 6 pairs plus Bourke’s to many?

Cheers,
Trent
Only 2 pairs bourkes at the very most in that aviary, one pair would be even better
In a smaller aviary like yours, too many bourkes and they will crash through the aviary, disturbing nesting birds
Don't overcrowd, you are better off buying more aviaries as you progress, I would recommend 1 pair bourkes and 5-6 pairs finches, but remember is overcrowding occurs, divide them amongst other aviaries
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
pyrttp

noah.till wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 15:50
pyrttp wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 22:49 Nearly there...finally... Starting to think about finch types and numbers.

Cheers,
Trent
Only 2 pairs bourkes at the very most in that aviary, one pair would be even better
In a smaller aviary like yours, too many bourkes and they will crash through the aviary, disturbing nesting birds
Don't overcrowd, you are better off buying more aviaries as you progress, I would recommend 1 pair bourkes and 5-6 pairs finches, but remember is overcrowding occurs, divide them amongst other aviaries
Thanks
Noah Till
Thanks for feedback Noah. Yes, badly worded post before. I am only thinking one pair of Bourke’s. Might even keep current pair in existing aviary and try a pair of another suitably small parrot. Have to research which mix best with finches. Good to know 5-6 should be okay. Any more then I would keep a pair in the existing aviary and then use remaining space for the young from the new and visa-versa. I would love to have more aviaries but current yard too small with outdoor area and swimming pool. Two aviaries will pull me up here.

Racing against time now to get new aviary in and operational. Have 4 baby Bourke’s in nest box, Stars fledged over weekend and Gouldians will be next (lots of noice from their box, and Painted’s have young too. The fledged, when ready, will need to go into new aviary, otherwise inside cages (won’t be popular with my wife if that happens against this season ;-). Hoping to be ready for installation in two weeks.

Cheers,
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well if you are doing this well, just imagine how they will go with a bigger avairy. Good luck.
LML
LML
Craig52

Sounds like you are doing quite well but time to start posting in a new forum that best suits the topic. Thanks

Admin.
noah.till

Thanks for feedback Noah. Yes, badly worded post before. I am only thinking one pair of Bourke’s. Might even keep current pair in existing aviary and try a pair of another suitably small parrot. Have to research which mix best with finches. Good to know 5-6 should be okay. Any more then I would keep a pair in the existing aviary and then use remaining space for the young from the new and visa-versa. I would love to have more aviaries but current yard too small with outdoor area and swimming pool. Two aviaries will pull me up here.

Racing against time now to get new aviary in and operational. Have 4 baby Bourke’s in nest box, Stars fledged over weekend and Gouldians will be next (lots of noice from their box, and Painted’s have young too. The fledged, when ready, will need to go into new aviary, otherwise inside cages (won’t be popular with my wife if that happens against this season ;-). Hoping to be ready for installation in two weeks.

Cheers,
[/quote]

Sounds like your doing very well mate, best wishes and enjoy your birds
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project

Return to “Introduce Yourself”