New Member Introduction

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Brisbane_Finches_333

Do you know anyone on gumtree selling cheap aviaries in Brisbane, cause I am looking for as cheap as possible and everyone on gumtree advertises tall bird cages as 'aviaries'.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
noah.till

Brisbane_Finches_333 wrote: 18 Jul 2019, 12:58 Do you know anyone on gumtree selling cheap aviaries in Brisbane, cause I am looking for as cheap as possible and everyone on gumtree advertises tall bird cages as 'aviaries'.
Hey mate
If you don't want results showing just tall bird cages or less results for them
Search up "Aviaries" and choose "Birds" in the filter in categorys and usually that works :thumbup:
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
noah.till

Brisbane_Finches_333 wrote: 18 Jul 2019, 12:58 Do you know anyone on gumtree selling cheap aviaries in Brisbane, cause I am looking for as cheap as possible and everyone on gumtree advertises tall bird cages as 'aviaries'.
Also you can get alright 'Absco' flat packed aviaries from Bunnings or somewhere like that
Here's a tip: MAKE SURE TO PLUG UP THE HOLE BETWEEN THE CORREGATED IRON AND THE WALLS, SNAKES JUST LOVE THEM
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And while some that you can purchase come with safety doors an equal number do not. You could advertise on Gumtree, asking for quotes to supply what you want, giving species. Don't have to accept quotes if they are too OTT.
LML
LML
pyrttp

Thanks Noah, will definitely check it out. Looking at the one I have although much smaller just can’t see how it can cost anywhere near as much they are quoting. I get they need/deserve to be well paid for their work but the trolley is coming in at far more than the rest of the aviary. Failing that was thinking maybe do a welding course myself or looking at whether a marine ply based trolley might work too. Cheers, Trent
pyrttp

Thanks Finchbreeder, appreciate the support and suggestions. Will definitely update as I get closer to a decision. It really is now all about flooring, for ease of cleaning, while still offering something that is bird friendly.
noah.till

pyrttp wrote: 26 Jul 2019, 07:30 Thanks Noah, will definitely check it out. Looking at the one I have although much smaller just can’t see how it can cost anywhere near as much they are quoting. I get they need/deserve to be well paid for their work but the trolley is coming in at far more than the rest of the aviary. Failing that was thinking maybe do a welding course myself or looking at whether a marine ply based trolley might work too. Cheers, Trent
No worries mate, good luck :thumbup:
Thanks
Noah Till
pyrttp

Update, order in and waiting for delivery. 3m x 1.5m x 1.8m aviary with single tray and mesh for area under main feed station. Single sheet of 16mm marine ply fitted with heavy duty trolley wheels to elevate off ground and allow seasonal position adjustments. A second sheet of marine ply will be the aviary floor. This will be topped with layer of eucalyptus mulch or gravel. A full width waterproof vent will help excess heat to escape in summer. A shelf across the back for breeding boxes. Side feed / water trays with sliding door access. Black mesh. Misting system will be fitted and potted out with grevilleas. Can’t wait, getting keen!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds well thought out. :thumbup:
LML
LML
noah.till

pyrttp wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 00:10 Update, order in and waiting for delivery. 3m x 1.5m x 1.8m aviary with single tray and mesh for area under main feed station. Single sheet of 16mm marine ply fitted with heavy duty trolley wheels to elevate off ground and allow seasonal position adjustments. A second sheet of marine ply will be the aviary floor. This will be topped with layer of eucalyptus mulch or gravel. A full width waterproof vent will help excess heat to escape in summer. A shelf across the back for breeding boxes. Side feed / water trays with sliding door access. Black mesh. Misting system will be fitted and potted out with grevilleas. Can’t wait, getting keen!
Sounds absolutely fantastic :thumbup:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”