Beginner questions (grass floor aviary, cats and selling)

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Pathfinder

Hi there. Please excuse my ignorance here. I used to breed zebras when I was little, now I’m older and want to share this passion with my kids.

1. My dad built a beautiful aviary that sat on the grass (no bottom), we anchored it and would move it every few weeks to keep the lawn fresh. From what I can tell people tend to have dirt floors or mainly concrete. I# there anything wrong with option for grass?

2. We have pet cats. They wear bird safe collars but still. Has anyone managed to safely have an aviary when you have cats? In my optimistic mind, the cats will keep the mice/rats away and scare the minor birds? We have a lot around our house. I did have a couple of pet finches a few years back but the minors would try to attack them everyday. They were relentless.

3. So back in the day, when I had too many birds I would sell to a pet shop. Now there are hardly any pet shops around and the ones that are there don’t have animals but are mainly stock. How do people move their birds on now if they need to, is it an issue?

Thanks so much for any and all feedback
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1. Grass is just fine - not having a rodent proof barrier going 600/700mm into the ground could be a problem but, so consider tin up the outside of walls for 600/700mm
2. I also admit to pet cats - they are extremely well fed and lazy - the boy even sleeps on the roof of the avairy when I am catching finches without being a problem - I have had many problems with visiting cats being major pests over the years - generally cats and birds are not the best mix - so be observant
3. Adds at the local supermarkets and seed suppliers and telling your neighbours and friends you have birds for sale works somewhat - then there is the Classifieds on here and Gumtree.
LML
LML
Rod_L

A grass floor is fine and less likely to have mouse problems. Mice prefer a sand soil and go where seed is spilt, so if you move the aviary every couple of weeks, the spilt seed will be outside the aviary and eaten by doves.

You can cover the aviary in mouse wire, which is 6mm square mesh and stops mice from being able to get into the cage. However, I doubt you will have many mice around with cats on the property and if you move the aviary regularly.

-----------------------
Keep your cats indoors from an hour before sunset to a couple of hours after sunrise. (generally between 5pm & 9am). This will stop them hanging around the aviary at night and frightening the birds while they try to sleep.

Neighbourhood cats are always an issue and having a solid roof (not a wire roof) will reduce some of the problem. But cats are a death sentence to birds and an electric fence wire put around and above the aviary can be used. A cat trap can be used to catch unwanted cats on your property and they are given to the council or rspca for rehoming or disposal.

Cats and birds do not belong and all cats should be kept in enclosures to prevent them wandering and killing native fauna.

-----------------------
Some pet shops still buy birds, and there are still a couple of bird shops around. A lot of people sell their birds on Gumtree.com or Ebay. If you advertise on these types of websites, put down "pick up only" otherwise you get people asking you to ship the birds all over the country/ world.
death to all cats & ants
Brisbane_Finches_333

I have pet cats, they do stick around the aviary sometimes but the birds get used to it.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also have a cat, and there's a stray that hangs out in the yard most days. The stray quickly learned she couldn't get to the birds and now doesn't bother them at all. Does a good job controlling rats and mice that try to get into the aviary though :)

The pet cat comes inside at night, and doesn't give the finches much trouble during the day. The dog has been trained to chase the cat whenever he gets too close to the aviary, so the cat has learned to avoid that part of the yard.
Pathfinder

Thanks so much for all the replies. I really appreciate it
Brisbane_Finches_333

I always use a grass floor as it’s better for the birds, especially ones that like to forage such as Ruddies, but do be aware that without an underground wooden or concrete wall around the edge of the aviary, rodents will likely burrow under and kill the birds (I’ve learned from experience).

Thanks
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I doubt you will have many mice around with cats on the property
I wish - The Jack Russell when she was still with us, could out mouse any 6 cats. Location makes a difference to mouse problems too. I only have one neighbour, while mother has 3, and I have a far more constant battle with keeping the mice under control. + They just go bush for a bit then come back. Have spent a fortune on rodent poison over the years. But the birds are worth it. + That's how I learn how important rodent proofing is.
LML
LML

Return to “Introduce Yourself”