Finch newbie

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Drewy98

Hi Cathy,
As stated above, a trench filled with solid material (corrugated iron/concrete/wire) is your best bet at preventing rodents from entering through the floor of the aviary. This should be extended at least 60cm above ground level as well if you plan on using 12mm square mesh as mice will walk straight through that size stuff. Using 6.5x6.5mm will save you a lot of heartache.

People often use river sand or 7mm gravel as substrate as both are free draining. However an increasing number of breeders are opting for mulch as it looks more natural and attracts insects. (both good and bad might I add)

If possible, face your aviary North so that the open end receives sunlight during the Winter. East is the next best.

-Drewy
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also where is the aviary builds section please?
How embarrassing - it is so long since I did anything as a newbie, I had to go looking and work it out.
Look under "Housing finches" you will find a mixture of topics on how to build avairies and other useful gadgets for the finches. Many of these are good for budgies too. Enjoy learning.
When you first build try to just get the door gaps nice and close. If they are too wide then get plastic stripping and glue to the frame to fill the gaps.
Rodent proofing is necessarry 600/700mm below and above ground for best results, as fighting the little pests year after year is a headache you don;t want.
LML
LML
Waxbill05

Welcome😁
Rod_L

Use 1/2 inch x 1 inch weldmesh bird wire in a heavy gauge for the aviary. It is galvanised and stronger than the cheaper budgie wire you get from hardware stores, and cats can't get through weldmesh.

Buy galvanized wire from a bird shop or somewhere it has been kept outdoors. The galvanising process leaves a toxic residue on the wire and leaving it out in the sun and rain for 6 months helps to remove this. You can also wash the wire with white vinegar and leave it over night, then rinse off with the hose. Do this a couple of times to remove the residue.

---------------------
You can use a paint roller and black paint to go over the wire to make it easier to see into the aviary. You will have to prime the wire first and then use a black paint.

The drawback to painting the wire black is birds sometimes have trouble seeing it and fly head first into the wire. And cats can see into the aviary easier. However, if you have cats hanging around the aviary, they will need to be exterminated otherwise they will kill the birds.
death to all cats & ants
Brisbane_Finches_333

Rod_L wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 07:26 However, if you have cats hanging around the aviary, they will need to be exterminated otherwise they will kill the birds.
That's a lie, I've got 2 pet cats and the birds are fine with them. At first they were a little scared but now they realize the cats can't get them.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
CathyW

Thanks for the welcome Waxbill05!
Thanks also Rod_L. I hadn't thought about the birds finding it harder to see the wire. Some food for thought there.
In regards to cats, we live on 3 acres but rarely have strays around as we have a Labrador who loves our cats but sends any 'visitors' on their way! Our cats stay indoor or in their cat run so won't be near the aviary.
Love all the advice everyone is so willing to offer. Many thanks everyone!
CathyW

Hi Drewy98, Sorry I missed your message.
Thanks for your advice too. The position we will most likely go with is North West but as it is a big backyard and no shading from other houses (We live in a regional town on 3 acres) the aviary will receive lots of sunlight. I appreciate your advice on that.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”