Hi from London

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Massi66

Hi there,

I'm Massimo, new to the forum and also to the Finches.
I've just got two male Zebra Finches, four days ago. They're two brothers, very young, probably in their first 3 months of life, as their beak has still some black on it, I guess. I'm glad to find a forum on Finches so I can learn as much I can on them, and to enjoy my spare time with them.
Cheers
Rod_L

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Do you have the birds in a cage or aviary?
Do you plan on getting a couple of girlfriends for them?

Where did you buy the birds from?
People shouldn't be selling finches if they still have black on their beaks. Generally these birds are still very young and might not be feeding properly.

Make sure the birds have a couple of nests to sleep in at night. Zebra finches like to sleep in a nest even when they aren't breeding.
death to all cats & ants
Massi66

Hi, thanks for the tips. They're in a big cage, 76x45x90 with five mixed perches, three from my apple tree, a swing and a wooden ladder, and a small bowl for the daily bath, a nest but so far I never seen them sleeping in there, they prefer the very top apple branch corner...
For the girlfriends, no, I don't have any intentions to get them, that's why two brothers, hope they won't fight one day.
The guy was a home breeders, he told me that the finches were 4 months old, I didn't questioned further as he also said that the birds are eating indipendently. I can assure that as I'm at home all day, not working at moment and checking on them very often. Also I give them fruit, nuts, zucchini, carrots in moderation and they seem like them too.
The only thing I didn't buy yet is the cattlefish, iodine block and grit...im not sure if they need the last two as my budgie never used them but who knows...
Rod_L

Move the nest up to the top back corner and see if they use it. Put some grass in the nest and have grass in the cage so they can line the nest.

Make sure you cover the cage up at night. Have the room light on before you cover the cage and leave the light on for 30 minutes after covering the cage. This will give the birds a chance to settle down for the night.

----------------
The birds aren't 4 months old if they still have black on the beak. The black normally goes about a month after they fledge (leave the nest). However, as long as they are eating well it's not such a problem, but they probably won't know how to build a nest because they need to learn things from their parents and they do that during the first few months after fledging.

----------------
All birds need mineral grit, cuttlebone and an iodine block. They don't use much but they do need it. They should also get a vitamin supplement each day to make sure they don't suffer from vitamin D deficiency, which occurs when they don't get any direct sunlight. They also need clean water every day.

Finches and budgies don't normally eat nuts but will pick at fruits and veges. Do not feed potatoe, onion or any onion relatives because these can poison the birds.

Australian finches and budgies should get green grass seeds. You can grow your own in pots or look around the garden for them. Just make sure any grasses are free of chemicals/ pesticides. The following link has information about growing your own green grass seeds.
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=21732&p=188305#p188305

You can also get millet sprays and soak them in a bucket of water for 12 hours, then rinse, shake off excess water and put the millet sprays in a plastic ziplock bag with some air. Put the bag on top of the fridge and wait until the millet starts to sprout (you will see a small white root coming out of the millet). Then remove the millet sprays from the bag and rinse under tap water, shake dry and put in the cage for the birds to eat. You can do the same with normal bird seed (soak for 12 hours, rinse, put in plastic bag and let it germinate, then rinse again and put in cage).
death to all cats & ants
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If they are Brothers and do not have any ladies to fight over, there is no reason they wont live harmoniously together. The size cage is ideal for two finches who are not intended to breed. Like Rod says, they do not sound like birds that were really quite old enough to leave home. Bit like kicking your 13 or 14 yr old out to fend for themselves, they can but really have missed a few parental life lessons. Enjoy.
LML
LML

Return to “Introduce Yourself”