Hello and a question about my canary

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
maru65

Hello!

I am from Coatepec, Veracruz, Mexico. I have and sometimes breed lady gouldians. I have had gouldians for about ten years, and I love them.

But besides my gouldians I have a canary. I bought it because it was going to be a present, but after having him for about 3 days we decided to keep him. He is Tito, and he is a very joyful canary who sings a lot.

But today an accident happened. My husband, who loves Tito very much, left the cage door open, and Tito got out and our dog attacked him.

We separated her immediately and we are almost sure she didn´t hurt him, because we have seen he can move and he can fly to his perch. But he was very agitated for some time and the rest of the day he has been very quiet, he almost doesn´t move, and what worries us more, we have been watching him almost all the time and he hasn´t eaten or drunk any water all day. The accident was like 10 hours ago.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help.
Craig52

It is most likely stress but i would check for any puncher wounds that are covered by feathers. If you find any sign even just a graze apply a non toxic antiseptic to the the area. Stress can kill as well so he should be kept warm, 30c or more until he comes good but make sure he has a good cool water supply and food supply.
maru65

Thank you. He continued like that all day and died during the night.
Apparently it was from stress since he has no wounds.
We are really sad, we will miss him very much.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry for your loss. Some birds are resilient enough to handle this sort of thing, but not many.
LML
LML
maru65

Thank you!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”