Experienced with Budgies only!

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
InsanityShard

Hello, my name is Jessie and I have a cage that was too small for a Budgie but may be the right size for a single Finch. I am Autistic and need simple but detailed explanations, I like to know the whys of actions. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get one, as it would not be in the cages with my Budgies, but would be alone. I have done minimal reading but it says they are social, and information from experiences are often better than the general care sheets online. It would be an indoor finch, in sight of 4 Budgies, which are allowed out of their cages rarely inside this room. This room is my bedroom, however I put a magnetic flyscreen curtain over my doorway so they cannot get out, and one is known to be aggressive but is separated and so far does not want to leave her cage anyway. She is kept in a separate cage, that would be underneath this one, and would not be allowed out without the Finch being covered or moved and the other Budgies kept inside their cage. I do not plan on letting the Finch out at the same time as the Budgies, so I will not clean its cage while they are out. I have not heard of them being trainable like budgies, so it is likely it would not come out. I'm aware the cage is small, it is around 38cm wide and 45cm tall. If this is too small or the Finch should not be kept by itself, I will not buy a Finch. I'd love to have another bird in that cage though, but I don't know any that are able to be kept comfortably in a cage that small... It gets hot in the Summers so during hot days I tend to spray my Budgies down whenever it gets too hot to prevent overheating, but we always use an air conditoner. It just doesn't get into my room very well. This room also contains 2 fish tanks (one of which is very large) that are fully hooded.
Brisbane_Finches_333

Hi Jessie and welcome to the forum!

Finches are highly social birds and don't like being alone, so I'd highly recommend buying two rather than a lone finch, but they wouldn't fit into the cage you have. If you really wanted some finches, perhaps you could buy a bigger cage for them?

If you do get the Finches and a bigger cage, then I'd recommend Zebra Finches as they are hardy and much easier to take care of than most other finches and make great indoor pets (but, like all finches, they need some access to sunlight such as being next to an open window).

Thanks,
Aidan
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Finches need to be in groups of 2 or more as they are very social. They can all be boys or all girls, if you do not want to let them have babies. That cage is too small to keep finches in because they are more active than budgies. I have finches and my mother has budgies, that is how I know. Airconditioning is not really good for birds, it is unnatural and can give them chills, so it is good that it does not get into your room well. Do you feed your budgies seeding grasses? My mothers budgies love seeding grasses.
LML
LML
Brisbane_Finches_333

finchbreeder wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 22:16 Finches need to be in groups of 2 or more as they are very social. They can all be boys or all girls, if you do not want to let them have babies. That cage is too small to keep finches in because they are more active than budgies. I have finches and my mother has budgies, that is how I know. Airconditioning is not really good for birds, it is unnatural and can give them chills, so it is good that it does not get into your room well. Do you feed your budgies seeding grasses? My mothers budgies love seeding grasses.
LML
I think air-con is fine, especially in hot summers, but it should stay above 18 degrees celsius. My first birds were kept in my room and that had air-con on all the time.
InsanityShard

I cannot fit another bigger cage in here, as that would block the window the cages are next to for my lone Budgie. I can't get Finches then, sadly. The cages are both next to the window, they do get sunlight, and I feed my budgies a combo of Vetafarm Finch & Budgie Crumbles, small Budgie Seed, Trill Dried Fruit & Nuts, and Trill Dired Veggies. About once a year they do get a new branch off the Bottlebrush tree to chew on. They also get a full Millet Spray once every two months or so. I've had very bad luck giving them fresh fruits/veggies, they just don't like them. I know if I really wanted I could fit about 6 Finches with the Budgies in the larger cage, as it is one of those really big ones you can keep Cockatoos in, but two of them are a fully bonded pair. Thank you for letting me know they're not suitable for me. If I did put them in the big cage, I wouldn't be able to let my Budgies out, either.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

air-con on all the time.
It's the all the time bit that made it OK. Cold air blowing on them when it has been hot, causing sudden big (more than 5 degrees is big for little birds) drops is the problem. And 18 degrees in summer has been proven to be unhealthy for humans, the blood vessels in the brain and body must contract and expand rapidly to allow for temperature changes, going in and out of the aircon. Big temperature drops (more than 10 degrees for humans who are more adaptable than birds) risks an anurism or blood clot in the brain or elsewhere.
LML
LML
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've had very bad luck giving them fresh fruits/veggies, they just don't like them. Trill Dried Fruit & Nuts, and Trill Dired Veggies.
Sometimes you need to persist with fresh foods for the good health of the birds. While dried foods are not bad, they are not as healthy as fresh. Budgies do not naturally go much for fruit, so don't worry about feeding them fruit. Experiment with growing fresh seeding grasses for them, it will do their health good. Plant a little bird seed, and when it has seeds, pick the seeds and feed to the Budgies. They only need about a spoonful of greens per bird per day, unless they have babies.
LML.
LML
Brisbane_Finches_333

Sounds like you're caring for your budgies really well Jessie!

Personally, mine love fresh fruit and veg diced kale (really finely, with a knife) and small bits of apple, plus dry and sprouted seed.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”