Hello hello!

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Heidi

Hello everybody,

My name is Heidi and I'm very new not only to the forum but also to the world of bird-keeping. My friend was no longer able to keep his aviary and it moved out to our place during the Covid lockdown... Suddenly I have 35 birds in my life! 22 finches, 10 parakeets and 3 quails. Needless to say there have been days that I've felt (and been) completely out of my depth but I'm also learning a lot very quickly! I am currently studying my Cert III in Captive Animals at Taronga and have a passion for conservation and animal husbandry. I am looking forward to learning from you all and hope to meet some of you at the Sydney meetings when they resume again one day in the near future. Thanks in advance for all the interesting information and advice!

Best x
Heidi :mouse:
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello Heidi, welcome to the forum! What species of finches have come into your care?
Craig52

Welcome to the Forum Heidi, interesting study. Enjoy the Forum. Craig :wave:
Heidi

Thanks guys!

I have Gouldians, Chestnuts, Stars, Ruddies, a Black-throated and a Cut-throat. They’re all such beautiful finches!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum. How big is the avairy?
LML
LML
noah.till

G'day Heidi, welcome to the Forum!
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Heidi

Thanks guys!

It’s a walk-in, planted aviary that my friend built. It has two bays measuring around 3600x2400 each and the birds have free reign between the two.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good size for the mix you have. And the option to seperate the Finches and quail to one and the parakeets to the other is particularly good. The planting is a great asset for new finches who may not be used to parakeets, and therefore frightened when introduced to them for the first time. What types of parakeets do you have?
LML
LML
Heidi

I have Bourke x3, Elegants x4, Blue-wing x2 and Rock x2. They're all very beautiful but I'm thinking I might need to find a new loving home for the Elegants as I hardly ever see them in the aviary, they're so shy and I worry I can't keep a close enough eye on them when I'm busy with work. They're also having a bit of a tiff with my Bourkes at the moment over nest boxes despite the ample options. I adore the Bourkes and they're very friendly so if I had to choose between them...
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For that many parrotts you need a minimum of 6 logs or nest boxs, so each lady gets a choice and that is quite a lot for the area you have. And you need to spread them round so none are within 1200 of each other, so each pair can have their own safe little zone. Also a big ask in the area. Elegants and Rock are also a fairly high risk of hybridising. You can look forward to interesting times ahead though. Enjoy.
LML
LML

Return to “Introduce Yourself”