Hello from NZ!

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
chRis

Hi all! :wave:

Hope everyone is keeping safe and well during these times! I have had birds on and off for a few years. I don't have anything currently, however last had various finches but sold up in 2018. Now looking to get back into it and start the planning for a new aviary / birdroom!

Really needing some help with the aviary design, so will post about this shortly and get some of your expert opinions. It's really difficult settling on a design.

Cheers
Chris
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Chirs, welcome to the forum! Would love to see what plans you've come up wtih so far for your new aviary.
Rod_L

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What finches are available in NZ?
death to all cats & ants
chRis

Shane Gowland wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 10:58 Hi Chirs, welcome to the forum! Would love to see what plans you've come up wtih so far for your new aviary.
Hi Shane. Thank you. I will post what I have so far in the housing forum I think? I will need some pointers! I have a bit of space to play around with, which makes the decision making harder!
chRis

Rod_L wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 11:13 Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What finches are available in NZ?
Hi Rod, thanks. We dont have very many left here unfortunately. And some of the rarer ones here, are owned by a select few who don't really sell outside their circle. Off the top of my head we have:

Bengalese (common but crested are rare)
Zebras (not as many variations as overseas though)
Cordons, Fires, Plumheads (uncommon), Cutthroats, Jacarinis, Cubans, Yellow Star Finches (uncommon), Red Stars (extremely rare), Parsons (rare), Orange Breasted Waxbills (rare), Green Singers (rare), Red Hooded Siskins (extremely rare), Red Parrot Finches (seagreen rare), Blue Parrot Finches (rare). Oh and Gouldians! I think thats the majority. No double bars, spice finches. Red stars are almost gone as well.

Some of these like Orange breasted, Green Singers, Siskins, Red Stars can go for $400+ a pair. So seeing them so cheap over there is strange! Even yellow star finches go for $200+.

Cheers
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum. Recommend reading the housing posts in great detail, and taking most note of those in similar climate areas. Look forward to seeing your plans.
LML
LML

Return to “Introduce Yourself”