Greetings 🖖

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Raven11

Hi all, I am new here and it’s been a while since I kept birds so hoping to get lots of information here and pick some knowledgeable brains. :)

I used to breed budgies but when I moved house had to sell up. I then had cats and not had any since then, I have kept a wide range of other birds from owls to love birds, but never kept finches.
As I live in an apartment (ground floor) I can only keep small and low noise birds, so, I have my heart set on Gouldians ad stars. But I have concerns about keeping them warm enough and lots of other questions such as what should I keep in my first aid box and what the best treatments are? Can they go in an outdoor aviary during summer time? I have an indoor cabinet which has 3 double breeders but would like to give them more room. I am so used to keeping them in an outdoor setting it seems odd to me.

Now I’m off to find the search feature and see if I can answer some of my questions that way but anyone who likes, please feel free to jump in. :D
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum. Reading the Avairy build section will give you some excellent ideas that you can adapt to your situation. The 2 types you have chosen are both quiet, but very different.
LML
Rod_L

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If the house temperature is warm enough for you, it will be fine for the birds.

They can go outdoors during warm weather but make sure there are no cold draughts blowing into the aviary. And make sure they have a dry sheltered area to roost under.

You shouldn't need anything in your first aid box if the birds are healthy to begin with. If they get sick, keep them warm (30-32C) and humid and contact a bird vet.
death to all cats & ants
Raven11

finchbreeder wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 09:58 Welcome to the forum. Reading the Avairy build section will give you some excellent ideas that you can adapt to your situation. The 2 types you have chosen are both quiet, but very different.
Thank you! I have to admit I love them all, very hard to choose. I did have a look through the aviary build section. I think an indoor one and and outdoor is going to be on the cards for the future. :)
Raven11

Rod_L wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 16:57 Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If the house temperature is warm enough for you, it will be fine for the birds.

They can go outdoors during warm weather but make sure there are no cold draughts blowing into the aviary. And make sure they have a dry sheltered area to roost under.

You shouldn't need anything in your first aid box if the birds are healthy to begin with. If they get sick, keep them warm (30-32C) and humid and contact a bird vet.
Thankyou. :wave:

I do worry as I probably have a lower temperature in my house than most people as I work in the cold all day. I’ve set my thermostat at 20 now as I ended up getting some birds.
I am about to treat them all and am keeping them in quarantine for 6 weeks with Dr Rob Marshals S76, followed by a coccidan treatment and wormer following that as the Gouldian looks a bit puffed up and has a dirty vent.
I suspect she has been breeding for the last while.
My avian U.V lamp arrived today so will be setting that up in the next 24 hours.
I am trying to find a suitable heat lamp at the moment but may opt for a small portable radiator I can place near their quarantine cages.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Aussie birds can take quite cool temperatures as it is not uncommon for our winters to get down to single didget temps. But drafts will knock them off easily. Don't forget that medications kill the good as well as the bad bacteria, so they will need building up as soon as you finish the medications. Spark is good for this, together with fresh seeding grasses. You could plant some of these in pots now, ready for them. Best if you know what temp they were in to begin at that temp, then adjust a degree or 2 every couple of days, till you arrive at your prefered temp. Enjoy.
LML

Return to “Introduce Yourself”