Tri Nun unusual young

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well you never know what you're going to see in a community aviary. ...seen one of my male tri nuns sitting on painteds old nest...well lo and behold fifteen days later and young are almost ready to fledge and the tri nun has taken over all the nest duties. ...and they are painted young????
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Craig52

Wow, i don't know what to say except you are now a fostering raiser. Well done. :lolno: Craig
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Craig52 wrote: 26 May 2017, 17:28 Wow, i don't know what to say except you are now a fostering raiser. Well done. :lolno: Craig
Wasnt intentional.... knew it was a painteds nest...but last time I was home they had abandoned it...and Tri nun sitting in there...thought okay they're taking the nest...didnt relise it had eggs lol....next thing I know I can hear young painted so I checked (normally not a checker) and well 4 painted young in there....unbelievable :crazy:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Tiaris

About 30 years ago I had a pair of Tri Nuns rear a clutch of red-faced Parrotfinches in a similar way. I was very happy as at the time RFPFs were highly sought after. Shortly after this I also intentionally used the same pair of Nuns to foster a clutch of Aberdeens from egg stage as one of the Aberdeen parents died. They reared the much bigger young Aberdeens very well.
I know of another breeder who has had Tri Nuns rear young Pin-tailed Whydahs too.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tiaris wrote: 26 May 2017, 19:34 About 30 years ago I had a pair of Tri Nuns rear a clutch of red-faced Parrotfinches in a similar way. I was very happy as at the time RFPFs were highly sought after. Shortly after this I also intentionally used the same pair of Nuns to foster a clutch of Aberdeens from egg stage as one of the Aberdeen parents died. They reared the much bigger young Aberdeens very well.
I know of another breeder who has had Tri Nuns rear young Pin-tailed Whydahs too.
That's awesome. ..so not so rare then lol..good to know. . :thumbup:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I guess they are Munias just like Bengos are. So maybe there is some of the "anything goes" attitude in all Munias.
LML
LML
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

finchbreeder wrote: 27 May 2017, 21:12 I guess they are Munias just like Bengos are. So maybe there is some of the "anything goes" attitude in all Munias.
LML
Well we shall see if they get them out..I'm back next Friday so should be fledged well and truly by then 😉
STUART WHITING

Wow what a result, that birds gotta be worth its weight in gold :thumbup:

Truly pleased for yer, well done
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

STUART WHITING wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 04:20 Wow what a result, that birds gotta be worth its weight in gold :thumbup:

Well they are out and there is 4 of them...still feeding them and busy building a nest right now...so expecting eggs from them now..... :thumbup:
STUART WHITING

vettepilot_6 wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 09:16
STUART WHITING wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 04:20 Wow what a result, that birds gotta be worth its weight in gold :thumbup:

Well they are out and there is 4 of them...still feeding them and busy building a nest right now...so expecting eggs from them now..... :thumbup:
Excerlent stuff mate, hope all goes well :clap:

Return to “Breeding Finches”