What hooks for hanging nest boxes

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
davlee

I need to hang some nest boxes on the rear zinc alum of the aviary. Has anyone found a supply that would do the job?

I want to be able to easily remove them over summer. I could make some but would prefer to purchase.

Dave
Tiaris

I use a shelf for nest boxes on cladded walls or a tie-wire bracket if on a mesh wall without shelf fitted.
arthur

If I understand correctly . .

A simple, small drill-hole, with a squashed 'Z' shaped piece of strong wire . . one 'angle' through the metal, the other (bent to shape) through the nestbox

Before "Bunnings" the oldtimers could do some pretty amazing things with lengths of wire, often recycled from the ties from wooden fruit cases
Craig52

All good idea's though hanging nest boxes directly up against metal walls can be a hazard due to the sun radiating into the box or the very cold doing the same.
I would recommend shelves with a timber ply up stand fixed at the back higher than the nest box to at least insulate it a bit. Craig
Mr Tino

Hi Dave my hanging hook for my nest,I buy aluminium strip of 3 metre length x 8 mm wide x 2 mm thick,I bent them in hook in to shape and that work very good for me when I do nest inspection and then I put nest back with out them fall down,also I sent you picture of the one I made and use,I found them cheap for me. :thumbup:
Halfinch

I bought a two piece pressed metal bracket for $6 which I’m quite impressed with. One piece is pop riveted to the aviary wall & the other is fixed to the nest box. This means it's really easy to remove them by simply lifting the box up. I got them from Camsal Aviaries in South Australia.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Halfinch

I just knew I'd mess up the uploading of photographs. This is the second part of the bracket.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That bracket looks like an excellent idea. :thumbup:
LML
LML
davlee

Thanks for the info.
I will order some of the Camsal brackets and will also make some from aluminium.
Dave
Halfinch

Glad to help Dave
If it's a big drama driving up to Elizabeth, I might be able to get some for you & drop them off. Just message me
Halfinch

Return to “Breeding Finches”