Gouldian Breeding Tips

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
charlie01

I recently bought 10 gouldians (6 hens and 4 cocks). They are currently finishing their moult. I'm most likely going to breed them in small cage like breeding cabinets.
Do any breeders have tips on breeding them sucessfully?

Thanks
chirp chirp
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Green seeding grasses of as many types as you can access, cuttlefish at all times, budgie type nest boxs, green seeding grasses as often as you can.
LML
LML
elferoz777

I had goulds for 12 months and they did nothing.

then I followed the advice that is common in most books and certainly on this forum.......line the inside of the finch nest box with grass.

After I did this one simple thing I ended up with 30 goulds within 4 months.

The advice above is also gold.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Roy

Hi Charlie, i have had gouldians for about 6 years now and have tried breeding them in small cabinets with not much success, had lots of trouble with egg binding and also birds just not wanting to breed, personally i have found open flight colony breeding to work better for me but having said that their are quite a few breeders that prefer to use breeding cabinets, each to their own. As the others have said lining the nest boxes with dried grasses and giving them seeding grasses like rye is definetly the way to go, also good qaulity seed mix and don't forget shell grit. Good luck :thumbup:
scuppy

Thanks for the tip guys on breeding these beatiful birds
cyber_crimes

Are budgie boxes better then the Gouldian boxes? (small finch boxes with opening at front rather then a hole)
Craig52

cyber_crimes wrote:Are budgie boxes better then the Gouldian boxes? (small finch boxes with opening at front rather then a hole)
Gouldians breed better in boxes with a hole in the front rather than half open nest boxes that most other finches prefer,there are many types and styles available and they are roughly 150mmx150mmx150mm,(6"x6"x6").
Cheers Craig
shnapper20

Hi i usually run an equal amount of hens to cocks if i run extras its always more cocks than hens as i have found extra hens to be distuptive to the point where they have been reported to throw young out of nesting boxes.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Only time I have ever experienced Gouldian throwing young was a very high Tesestorone cock. He chucked the young of a pair when he wanted to steal the hen, this was when there was equal sexs and the hen he wanted was the dominant one. He took over from the dominant cock and stole the hen. And yes was actually witnessed grabbing feathered young from the nest and thowing them. He went throu 3 different hens and 4 lots of chicks that year. Lots of half sibs round.
LML
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”