Nest box design and size for Gouldians

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Natboy

Sorry to dig up an old topic but shelves for nest boxes is literally the last thing my aviary needs before I can try to find my Gouldians so I wanted to get an update on the best type of breeding boxes to buy & where from please?
I've tried a few places with no luck.

I know I've got a while before I'll need the boxes so can someone please let me know box height & depth so I can put shelve up this weekend.

Thanks very much
Nat
Masterfincher

Hi, my gouldians are nesting now, so the quicker you get some boxes, the better, I think. I use plain plywood boxes about 12cm cubed, 40mm hole in front, overlapping lid to keep the rain out, and have had good success yearly - usual clutches of 3or 4, multiple clutches per season, just put them up high. I will highly recommend putting some soft grasses in the bottom of each - I had a few issues with splayed legs from (I presume)the smooth timber surface the young were sitting on.
You can either make them yourself, ask your local bird club, most pet shops have them, and possibly even at the local markets, as we have here in Bundaberg.
Good luck!
Natboy

Thanks so much for the fast reply.
I'll make the shelves tomorrow, track down some nest boxes and need to find birds ASAP!
Happy new year to you
Cheers
Nat
nxe04d

You could try these Natboy They are good quality build

http://www.petlink.com.au/Classifieds/sale/2594284.html
casehulsebosch

Just an add on to the above comments.

If you are breeding with multiple pairs in a flight/aviary don't forget to hang the boxes as different heights.A dominant pair will pick the highest nestbox. (If you are really bored on a rainy day read the research from Dr Sarah Pryke)

mine were breeding in ply cube boxes with the front half open. No nesting hole as such. In nature they are hollow log breeders so just keep that in mind. One learns from his own experiences/mistakes.

cheers, Case.
Natboy

Thank you both for the replies.
Those boxes look good. I'll go for a drive and grab some on my next day off :thumbup:

Return to “Breeding Finches”