Nest box design and size for Gouldians

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Morne

Hi everyone,

I'm only new to the forum and new to breeding Gouldians.

Can anyone please advise what size and shape nest box is the best to use to breed these birds?

Thanks!
garyh

Hi Morne,i use the L shape nest boxes ,for me they are a must,but each to their own,don't know the sizes off the top of my head but will get back to you soon ,garyh
Mr Tino

Hi Morne I agree with garyh because I use the same ,what I find myself they have step down section where they lay there egg in it and when they hatch you have less problem with the chick from fall out from the hole and also the parent feed them from the top step also I find them they work better for me . At the moment I don't know size off my head for memory,I will try to find that. I hope this will help you .

Cheer from Mr Tino :thumbup:
elferoz777

I use the small finch/budgie boxes and also thise boxes with a boxed entrance. I have found the boxed entrance reduces fighting in a colony scenario.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Morne

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your input. The information is really appreciated. Looks like the L-shape is a popular one. May I ask where the best place is to buy these boxes from? We are up in far north Qld.

Thanks.
ColouredFeathers

Welcome Morne to the forum :wave:
Image Image Image
Morne

ColouredFeathers wrote:Welcome Morne to the forum :wave:
Good morning and thank you! Hope to get going with full access to the forum soon.
TomDeGraaff

Hi Morne.
Gouldians will nest in budgie nests as well but the best are those that are described above. I find any wooden nestbox with a hole not too big is great for them. I also start the nest by adding a handful of grass to help them get started.
Cheers
Tom
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As above, they seem happyest with a wooden nest box. If buying them make sure the entry hole is at the opposite end to the door. Assuming the type with a door on the end, this allow the bird to go away from you and out, if they have to come towards the intrusion to exit this can cause panic in some birds. The less stress the better. If breeding in cold weather and you can place your nests where they get morning sun, I discovered by accident, that this is good.
LML
LML
ColouredFeathers

Hi Morne
you can buy the nest boxes from good bird shops or pet shops or you can get them from Victoria but it might cost you a bit you can get them and assemble them you're self.
cheers cf
Image Image Image

Return to “Breeding Finches”