Blue Gouldians

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Davo2

Anybody breeding blue gouldians in the Lake Macquarie / Newcastle area. I was after a couple after this years breeding season, just thought I would get in early so if you want to send us a PM.

Cheers
Ron
Davo2

I am after info on breeding blue gouldians, it looks like a lot of current breeders split their blues to australian yellows. I just wanted to know the reasoning behind this, do you get better colour, better health ect or can you achieve the same results splitting blues with standard gouldians.

Cheers
Ron
elferoz777

this is done to create birds that can produce the aussie yellow blue birds.

if you are just after health blues you can go passed pairing a blue to a health normal bird then breed the splits in the next generation. you wont be ale to tell the splits from the non splits but at least the blues produced will be stronger.

Hope that helps.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Davo2

looks like a bargain but I don't want blues till spring.

http://www.petlink.com.au/Classifieds/sale/2501779.html
Craig52

I agree,that is a good price for those birds but buyer beware.I also agree that it is the wrong time to buy them unless you can keep them indoors but don't let them go down this year but build them up for next year and breed them to quality normal green back birds or Euro yellows which ever might be the case ,it shouldn't be a race to breed these mutations. Craig
elferoz777

What does that tell you about them?

Id call him and ask him what his problem was. Those prices are good. .very good but unless you get a steady flow of antibiotics into them the results will be the same regardless if where you get them.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Craig52

elferoz777 wrote:What does that tell you about them?

Id call him and ask him what his problem was. Those prices are good. .very good but unless you get a steady flow of antibiotics into them the results will be the same regardless if where you get them.
I do not agree with the antibiotic thing,infact i said new blood into them rather than medication.Mutations are built up on outcrossing,not medication imo Craig
Davo2

Yeah the medication side of things has me worried. As soon as I seen that add I thought hey could be medicated, infertile or leaving chicks in the nest to die so no way would I take the risk on these ones. I was hoping to find someone with aviary bred and parent raised without medication and preferably in my area but struggling to find any at the moment. Hopefully after the breeding season a few will pop up for sale. Once I get some I will be crossing them over the pick of my birds and will not be medicating so I hope I find good stock.
garyh

The guy selling these birds is actually on this forum ,might get the full story from him,garyh
werty

Craig52 wrote:
elferoz777 wrote:What does that tell you about them?

I do not agree with the antibiotic thing,infact i said new blood into them rather than medication.Mutations are built up on outcrossing,not medication imo Craig
is it just the blue mutation that has health problems?

what about yellows and silvers?

I have had a few yellow and silver chicks fledge and they are just as strong as my normal green chicks

Return to “Breeding Finches”