Blue Gouldians

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
werty

garyh wrote:Wearty,just wondering what you bred together to breed the silvers,sorry a bit off topic i know,garyh
Dads just a black headed green
Mum orange headed green but the orange head has grey through it, not pure orange
Craig52

werty wrote:
garyh wrote:Wearty,just wondering what you bred together to breed the silvers,sorry a bit off topic i know,garyh
Mum orange headed green but the orange head has grey through it, not pure orange
Hi Werty,it is genetically impossible to get a silver out of that pairing. Can you show us a pic of what you are talking about. Craig
werty

Craig52 wrote:
werty wrote:
Hi Werty,it is genetically impossible to get a silver out of that pairing. Can you show us a pic of what you are talking about. Craig
Yep

Gary sent me a message

All cleared up..looks like one of the other males is the real dad

Take your pic

Red head..dilute. .single factor

Birds all in 1 colony
Blue Cuban

Common mistake, surprisingly I solved a mysterious case of a yellow chick from a green pair just as Garyh has done here not long ago.

Yep dad was a SF.
Hobby finch Keeper
Tiaris

The only way to be 100% sure of parents is to have single pairs. In a colony, pair bonds, sharing incubation/parenting duties, etc. mean absolutely nothing when it comes to being certain of lineage.
werty

Tiaris wrote:The only way to be 100% sure of parents is to have single pairs. In a colony, pair bonds, sharing incubation/parenting duties, etc. mean absolutely nothing when it comes to being certain of lineage.
That's ok
As long as I have some strong blues that can survive outside with no heaters or meds im happy

I don't care who the dad is

Its more enjoyable watching birds breed in a colony

I have no interest in cabinet breeding
Tiaris

Nor do I. I love breeding Gouldians in large aviaries. All single pairs in mixed finch breeding aviaries outdoors & I know with absolute certainty the parents and genotype of every bird bred.
werty

Tiaris wrote:Nor do I. I love breeding Gouldians in large aviaries. All single pairs in mixed finch breeding aviaries outdoors & I know with absolute certainty the parents and genotype of every bird bred.
Why do you keep them as single pairs?

Is it only so you tell the genotype of the birds?

I find my goulds do really well in a small flock, just 6 pairs
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you like flock breeding and want to be sure of genotype. Put 3 identical sisters to 3 identical brothers in each avairy. You get to have the best of both worlds.
LML
LML
Blue Cuban

finchbreeder wrote:If you like flock breeding and want to be sure of genotype. Put 3 identical sisters to 3 identical brothers in each avairy. You get to have the best of both worlds.
LML
Except if they are possible splits..:)
Hobby finch Keeper

Return to “Breeding Finches”