Hand rearing gouldian chicks

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Mavis

I have a lovely clutch of 4 chicks from a yellow back white fronted x yellow back lilac front ( both red face ) and the hen is looking unwell. She is puffed up with sagging wings. The question is, if she doesn't make it through the night should I remove the clutch and hand rear or will the cock pick up the slack? Hopefully she makes it through though. I appreciate everyones advice. I live in Melbourne and they are in an outdoor aviary.

Mick
Craig52

Hopefully you have caught her up and put her in a hot box (hospital cage).The cock bird should keep them warm and feed them without her.Gouldians usually cover their chicks at night up to around 11 days so with 4 chicks in the nest they should survive these cool nights we are having in Vic.Hope all goes well. Craig
Mavis

Didn't have a chance to catch up tonight.. fingers crossed for the morning and a little sunshine and heat in Melbourne wouldn't hurt either!! Will check on chicks on all in the morning and update.. Will post a pic of the chicks too
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Type handrearing in under "search" in the top right hand corner of the forum. Though you may have to wait till you have 5 posts up. Useful info from those who have done it will be found.
LML
LML
Mavis

All ok for now.. still kicking and eating sprouted seed.... some decent weather scheduled for Mel for the remainder of the week so fingers crossed.. Will post pick of chicks next time I check nest
fetching

Keep a good eye on them.
At times the if the male loses the female (usually in non aviary circumstance) the male may become depressed and abandon the clutch for another mate. This usually happens when there are eggs vs a hatched clutch.
BlackCobra

The big problem is if the chicks are very young & dad has to stay off them for long periods of time getting food, this is when you do want the warmer days.
A long time ago we had a female quarrion die & we thought the dad was looking after them but next day all dead.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

do you have any other clutches around same age? maybe you can spread them around to others if the worst happens?
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Diane

Sometimes even if the cock bird is left on his own he will pick up the slack and feed the babies himself. I have this happen in one instance only though and the babies were older, so the constant calling would have provided stimulation to keep feeding.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits

Return to “Breeding Finches”