2015 Gouldian Breeding Season... Any Starters Yet?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
paintedfiretail

SAVING THE GOULDIAN IN THE WILD STANDS A CHANCE BUT IT HAS NO CHANCE IN CAPTIVITY . :x
Craig52

paintedfiretail wrote:
werty wrote:
panthersteve wrote:That's over 100 youngsters, you've got to be happy with that, although I would be out buying more aviary space if I had to house them :crazy:
Definitely have to extend the aviary another 5m

I'll sell all the young goulds in december, keep maybe 10 pairs of the new chicks

Hi werty going by what you said a couple of weeks ago you were breeding mutations from normal Gouldians,in my way of thinking there must be a lot of splits in all those young.Hope you sell them on responsibly by
identifying the splits.I purchased two new cocks for new blood this season under the under standing that they were pure from two separate people and both end up being splits, helping to ruin my breeding season for normal
gouldians and had to to put down all young and cocks in those pairings and hope that those cocks didnt get with other hens in those aviarys luckly I picked it up in the first clutches as Iam very against mutations for this very reason .
Paintedfiretail, split to what?? and how do you know. Craig
Tiaris

Sorry to break it to you, but your hens must also be splits if they produced either blue, white-breasted or Australian yellow young.
Mr Tino

I agree Craig and Tiaris if you bought these bird for pure from a BREEDER you should have ask him for information or detail about these bird,if he didn't have recorder,I am sorry paintfiretail that is your fault you should have refused them and try someone else mate,just to let you there few people who don't kept recorder on there stock,I hope this will help in the future mate.

Cheer from Mr Tino :thumbup:
E Orix

There is always going to be the old saying buyer beware, but it's not the buyer causing the problem but the unthinking, maybe selfish breeders
who put their split young out without a care. The problem is so big that virtually non of the normal looking Gouldians can be considered if there
was a decision to reintroduce Gouldians back in the wild.
I am fortunate to have a strain of pure normal Black Headed birds but where do I go when I am eventually forced to add new blood.
Can I be totally sure of what I am buying.
Sadly the same applies to our Painted Finches with yellow fronted appearing frequently, in the not too distant future pink bodied ones will start to appear.
At the last Castle Hill bird sale pied Diamonds were down to $40 each
While the mutation breeders have every right to do as they wish chasing that new mutation I wish those responsible for pushing splits out would
act responsibly because it tarnishes all mutations breeders reputations.
paintedfiretail

Hi craig I have no interest in any form of mutation or their genetics .I pluck all my young with in three days of fledging so I can determine the head colour and sex early .
Four out of eight young were showing signs of having a white breast (two from each clutch) both hens are off my stock and I consider them to be pure and not tanted
but if this the case looks like I need to pull some more heads as I would not sell them on as I feel very strong on this mater .
iaos

paintedfiretail wrote:Hi craig I have no interest in any form of mutation or their genetics .I pluck all my young with in three days of fledging so I can determine the head colour and sex early .
Four out of eight young were showing signs of having a white breast (two from each clutch) both hens are off my stock and I consider them to be pure and not tanted
but if this the case looks like I need to pull some more heads as I would not sell them on as I feel very strong on this mater .
To have an interest in keeping mutation free birds you need to understand the genetics of mutations. To knock a bird on the head based on the fact it is carrying a recessive gene is plain ridiculous. Give it to someone who breeds mutations or give it to someone to keep as a pet.

E Orix, if you are coming to singleton this year I can get you some new blood.
paintedfiretail

E orix I hear what your saying not being nasty but how can you be certain that your birds are as pure as wild ones unless they came from a really really big
aviary and if so I would love some of that blood line.As you mr tino when was the last time you saw some one with their breeding records at as sale and I
take people on their word and if they were sell any type of mutation it would have set of alarm bells for me.
Craig52

The problem is pf,to get white breasts BOTH parents need to be split to white breast so your hens are not pure and are split to white breast. Craig
matcho

Gee, this is getting interesting. Have only been breeding goulds for 6 or so years. Just a newbie then, bought cock birds supposedly would throw blues, then bought hens, 20 bucks each out of the pet store at Birkenhead. Told my male supplier, went and bought the lot. Look, I love the natural colours, black head, red head and orange but the unfortunate fact is most are all tainted with some sort of mutation. I have some beautiful looking hens and cocks in all head colours with green backs and purple breasts but I cannot guarantee that their mum/dad is does not have wb/lb/ay/ey in their line. Then we go into the beak colours....?

Ken.

Return to “Breeding Finches”