Pairing gouldians

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Jason300

I have just lost a male gouldian as it was killed by a native bird while on front wire. It was in a separate breeding cage and the hen is sitting on eggs should I just let her go or do I introduce another male to the cage?
Craig52

Jason300 wrote:I have just lost a male gouldian as it was killed by a native bird while on front wire. It was in a separate breeding cage and the hen is sitting on eggs should I just let her go or do I introduce another male to the cage?
I don't think the the hen will be able to raise any young on her own and if you introduce a new cock he will force her to lay more eggs,so it doesn't matter which way you go imo the eggs will be lost.
You would be better off discarding the eggs and let them start again.If you have another pr or more of gouldians that have laid around about the same time you could spread the eggs amongst them. Craig
TomDeGraaff

On the couple of occasions I lost one of a sitting pair, at the changeover, the one sitting stopped and did not go back to the nest. If the young had hatched she may feed them but she won't sit full-time imo.

A new male will wish to rear his own young so it makes sense that he would drive the hen to make a new nest.

I'd start over again

Return to “Breeding Finches”