Starting with Gouldians on the Sunshine Coast

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
zippo625

Hi all,
I have just moved to the Sunshine Coast (just outside of Noosa) and I'm looking for some advice. We have previous kept Gouldians and a variety of various Australian finches in Victoria in the past. Can someone give me some advice on what kind of aviary construction is the best option in the sub-tropics, particularly in regard to Gouldians? Where is the best place to source 6mm wire? Seed? Birds? Aviary supplies? When do the birds breed? Finch associations? I've got a million questions, and would appreciate some assistance with the transition! Appreciate your help
Masterfincher

Hi, I'm in Bundaberg so not too far away. I have one main aviary with about 15 different finch species, including 7 mature Gouldians and their immediate young. There previous young are in my other aviaries, and all are doing well, and having their own babies. They are in the middle/end of breeding now. They seem to wait till the height of Summer to start, mine pretty well spot on New Years day this year. I have had one brood from most pairs, some are going back for a second. While breeding, they eat a lot of soaked seed and green panic that I get near a local drain, as well as normal dry finch mix from the local produce store (buy a 20 kg bag, it's about 1/2 price compared to per kg.They don't touch the mealworms or termites that I put in. They consume HEAPS of egg shell, if they run out they nearly attack me for it when I put some more in.
Mine are in a semi-roofed aviary, they prefer (and roost) in shrubery under the wired roof part, even during rain. The heat and humidity don't worry them - it has been 32 degrees plus here still, and very humid, and they are still breeding although they pant a bit on hot days sometimes. They become a bit sluggish in Winter (don't we all!). They get on well with all the other species, just some male territory fighting when breeding starts, but that settles after a couple of days. I do have a lot of plants in my aviary for all to hide from each other.
My nests are home-made wooden ones - like in my avatar pic - up as high as I can get them (2metres). I put a bit of grass in them to get them interested (I learnt this the hard way - they weren't interested before I put the grass in). Some under cover, some not - they don't mind. Mine haven't used cane/wicker nests or my home made wire ones, so stick to wooden ones.
Where to buy in the Sunny Coast I'm not sure. Here in Bundy they are at the local pet store for about $30 each.
Well I hope that helps. Good luck with it all :)
zippo625

Fantastic! Thanks for the reply. Do you have an enclosure in your aviary? Earthen floor? How much of the roof is enclosed?
Masterfincher

Hi again, I have 2 ends of my aviary enclosed on 3 sides, with roof over, and about 3/4 of the entire aviary has roofing - i use the cheap corrugated alsynite stuff from Bunnings, and put some shade cloth under it in about 1/3 of the roof area. Still allows plant growth and light but gives protection from heavy rain.
And yes, I have an earthen floor with mulch on top - the birds love to peck around in it.
Bill

hi masterfincher I live in Pomona to my name is bill I keep finches and I can help you with most things
zippo625

Hi Bill, great to hear I've got someone in town to give me some assistance! Thanks! Where do you source your birds and supplies from?
Bill

hi bill here you can give me a call and come around and I can help with most things I have around 70 finches mainly pied ruddies pied orange breasts pied sea greens what part of Pomona are you in 54852492
zippo625

Hi Bill, I'm in Hollis road, I'll give you a bell and we'll organise a time to drop over? Thanks for the offer, appreciate your help.

Return to “Breeding Finches”