Gouldians hatchings going missing

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
TomDeGraaff

I also have geckos around. I love the little critters but I'd be interested in any problems they might cause :)
Tiaris

The problem ones are feral Asian geckos which are larger and more abundant up north & cause a real problem in finch aviaries. I doubt they are down to Melbourne yet.
Craig52

Tiaris wrote:The problem ones are feral Asian geckos which are larger and more abundant up north & cause a real problem in finch aviaries. I doubt they are down to Melbourne yet.
Yes they are Tiaris,whilst cleaning up my fathers deceased estate i saw a few quite a few amongst externally stacked timber.My father believed he bought them home among stag horns and ferns from trips to Qld,Mum had them stashed in the most unusual places in his van. Craig
arthur

panthersteve wrote:Does anyone have an answer to dealing with geckos :?:
You won't find too many geckos in a Magpie Robin aviary

Coopex powder is supposedly toxic to them, but the problem is getting the C into contact with the G's, even in the nestbox situation

Sticky paper traps are limited in effect, and obviously must be inaccessible to the birds

Naphthalene flakes, mothballs, Dettol will repel geckos in air-conditioning motors (where they 'short' the system) but no doubt would repel the birds as well

The Asian House Gecko, if they haven't already done so, will spread Australia wide; and there is a fortune awaiting the person who comes up with an effective solution
Tiaris

Surely there must be a big carnivorous toad or some such creature living in Asia which naturally controls the wild population and could be introduced to solve the problem here.
arthur

Well my wife's cats, which never leave the house, do a half job on the 'inside' geckos

Maybe we need a larger feral cat population to wipe out the 'outside' feral geckos :silent:
mezcalbean

Funnily enough I just asked the same thing a few days back - one day they are there and the next they are not - how often are you checking your nest ?
redluom

In regard to the Geckos, I will try a sticky fly paper placed vertically on my aviary's back wall with vigilance of course as I have noticed one about, got in during the building of the Aviary and would be too big to get through the 6mm mesh it,s enclosed with I would think

Return to “Breeding Finches”