Gouldians -What babies will I get?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
escapin

Hello
I'm quite new to breeding finches. I've got a yellow gouldian hen and normal colour black faced cock bird that are breeding. Just wondering will I get a mixture of colours? or normal looking birds carrying the yellow gene?
Lachlan1

There are so many variables... If the hen is a euro yellow and the cock is normal then you'll get SF cocks but if any of them are split to other mutations then it opens you up to so many more possibilities. Here is a good site that will help with most genetic questions http://www.gouldianfinches.eu/en/geneti ... a/english/.

Good luck with them.
escapin

wow.. didnt think it was quite that complex. I dont even know type of yellow gouldian I have, it's just yellow with a lilac chest, was pretty cheap ($40) so obviously nothing fancy.

I guess I'll wait a few weeks and see what pops out. That link was cool though thanks
elferoz777

So I am assuming you have a euro yellow hen and a normal green back with a purple breast (PB).

All your hens will be yellow with the cock birds being normal or splits. The splits can be easily identified once they colour up. They will be diluted in appearance.

Good luck and make sure to post photos.

You can get yellow hens from split yellow cocks paired to normal hens as the mutation is sex linked and if the birds are white breasted the colour on the back changes yet again between yellows and split to yellow. Ill stop now before I do your head in trying comprehend it all. It used to give me headaches when I was first leaning how it all works.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Tiaris

No Euro yellow is dominant co sex-linked. You cannot get splits at all.
If the hen is euro yellow & cock is normal (pure green backed & purple-breasted), the young males will be single factor yellow-back (which look diluted green) and the young hens will be normal (green backed).
iva

Hi
I just started the same topic about my Gouldians. Will be interesting to see final result from both nests.
Good luck
elferoz777

http://www.finchinfo.com/genetics/lady_ ... colors.php

This is the best link to explain how it all works.

As you can see even seasoned breeders like me get confused with it all sometimes. Just search through to learn what you need.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Craig52

Tiaris wrote:No Euro yellow is dominant co sex-linked. You cannot get splits at all.
If the hen is euro yellow & cock is normal (pure green backed & purple-breasted), the young males will be single factor yellow-back (which look diluted green) and the young hens will be normal (green backed).
elferoz777 wrote:http://www.finchinfo.com/genetics/lady_ ... colors.php

This is the best link to explain how it all works.

As you can see even seasoned breeders like me get confused with it all sometimes. Just search through to learn what you need.

Tiaris is right in his post,in that link it states that if a normal (green backed) cock is mated to a hen yellow back half the cock offspring will be SF and the other half green,half the hen offspring will be SF yellow and half the hen green,so 50/50%.
That is not correct,it is what Tiaris has said no wonder people get confused. Craig
SamDavis

I agree Tiaris is correct but so too is the finchinfo.com site - http://www.finchinfo.com/genetics/lady_ ... colors.php I think the link was to the breast colour page NOT the body colour page - maybe this led to confusion? Anyway here's the image from the site reflecting the pairing in question.
gbc_ybh.jpg
Agrees with Tiaris and Craig.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig52

Yes Sam,i must be cross eyed for some reason :crazy: I quoted the wrong read out in that link. Craig :thumbup:

Return to “Breeding Finches”