Society Finches HELP!

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
PurpleMonday

I have two m/f pairs. One large cage and ONE nest. I bought my first pair, and then got a second pair about three months later. I DID get them from the pet store. The birds are VERY healthy and I have been watching them closely for a long time to make sure of it. ***My nest however, is not typical. The workers at the pet store modified small sized (CLEAR) plastic hamster roll-a-round balls that have the door removed and screwed through it and held securely onto the cage. This was to see the birds clearly and I made my own at home, so my daughter, and myself, could see clearly into it in case of eggs. They are comfortable with it and enjoy it. HOWEVER, I only added one nest to not promote breeding (they all happily share the nest at ALL times, and I always did eventually want baby birds!). With that being said, I am now at 2 eggs within two days and with them all sharing the nest, I cant tell which female is laying them! or IF they stuck to their original breeding pairs to properly identify the parents! They ALL take turns on the nest or all crowd in there together happily... Does this pose any problems? Should I just let them go about it and separate them after? At first I thought one specific female was laying eggs but then I thought the other one did so I am not even sure if its just one or both females even laying the eggs! Any advice?
Tiaris

Single pairs in their own enclosure would have the best chance of breeding success. Do you know for certain they are 2 males & 2 females?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When you say one large cage how large are we talking, as the biggest risk is if they are feeling crowded. Sharing a nest and rearing is not a problem with Bengos. What colours/pattens are your birds?
LML
LML
PurpleMonday

I know for sure there are two males and two females. They are Society finches. One male/female pair are fawn/white and the other male female pair are drk brown/white and the female is crested. I wanted to breed at some point but was not planning on it right now so they are caged together in a cage large for them according to the pet store (its like 3 almost 4 feet tall, and 2 feet long, and 2 deep but we have been searching for a larger cage and researching methods and considering building our own indoor aviary). they never fight or aggressive at all with each other. Now they are done laying eggs and there are three total. the females are always on the nest (other then for food and water) except at night wen all four sit on them together. BOTH females are very much looking after the nest together. I have had the dark pair almost a year, and the fawn ones like 6-8 months. they were all 6 months when I purchased them.
Tiaris

I wouldn't have any more than one pair in such a small enclosure if breeding is an important goal for you.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bengalese and Society finches are the same thing. I keep and breed them. The pet shop is correct that this is a large cage for keeping display birds in. But it is a small cage for breeding in. For displaying, which is usually done with one sex only this would work out great. But for breeding they really would do best with something at least this size for each pair. Don't worry too much at this point Bengos are really a very easy and forgiving finch. While they are sitting and breeding happily as they are you have time to build or buy another cage or an avairy. Just for your information longer is better when it comes to cages/avairys as birds like flying length. Unfortunately some cage builders do not seem to be bird keepers and build for helicopters that can go up and down not along as birds do. So leave them while they are nesting and once the young hatch and are weaned. Use your existing cage as a school for the young and have another cage or avairy for the adults once they are ready to be seperated. Congratulations on your eggs.
LML
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”