Gouldian Foster Parents

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
spoton

On Thursday morning, I found that a nest of 4 baby BH Goulds (approx. 1 week old) were cold as ice and almost not moving at all. I also noticed that there crops were not full or even 1/2 full for that matter. Their parents were seemingly not interested in the nest full of youngsters.

I cupped all 4 into my hand and then put my hands in my jacket pocket for about 1/2 hour and by then all 4 were warm and moving and wanting to be fed. What to do???

I then then checked my other goulds (dad is a one eyed RH and mum is a BH white chest) with babies the same as age as these and thought maybe they will foster them. So put all 4 warm babies in the nest and watched for a while. Firstly one eye checked out the box and then went inside and never came out. I checked later in the day and he was covering all 8 youngsters.

Next day, I checked again, 1 had failed to make it but all of the others were warm, full crops and seemingly happy. Here we are on Sunday and all still going well!!!!!

One eye is a home bred bird (I bred his mum and her father as well) that has produced a good number of youngsters. I only kept him originally as he lost an eye the first day out of the nest - still not sure how as he had it when I saw him in the morning and was missing it that evening!!! This season he lost his original partner and seemed to attract the attention of a young BH white chest that was spare. Didn't think anything was happening until a last check of what I thought was an empty nest box saw him sitting on 4 eggs. Later that day I saw her enter the nest box as well.
werty

[quote="spoton"]On Thursday morning, I found that a nest of 4 baby BH Goulds (approx. 1 week old) were cold as ice and almost not moving at all. I also noticed that there crops were not full or even 1/2 full for that matter. Their parents were seemingly not interested in the nest full of youngsters.

I cupped all 4 into my hand and then put my hands in my jacket pocket for about 1/2 hour and by then all 4 were warm and moving and wanting to be fed. What to do???

I then then checked my other goulds (dad is a one eyed RH and mum is a BH white chest) with babies the same as age as these and thought maybe they will foster them. So put all 4 warm babies in the nest and watched for a while. Firstly one eye checked out the box and then went inside and never came out. I checked later in the day and he was covering all 8 youngsters.

Next day, I checked again, 1 had failed to make it but all of the others were warm, full crops and seemingly happy. Here we are on Sunday and all still going well!!!!!

One eye is a home bred bird (I bred his mum and her father as well) that has produced a good number of youngsters. I only kept him originally as he lost an eye the first day out of the nest - still not sure how as he had it when I saw him in the morning and was missing it that evening!!! This season he lost his original partner and seemed to attract the attention of a young BH white chest that was spare. Didn't think anything was happening until a last check of what I thought was an empty nest box saw him sitting on 4 eggs. Later that day I saw her enter the nest box as

Aviary bred or cabinet?
spoton

Hi Werty,

My birds are all aviary birds. These are the first abandoned youngsters I have had with my birds. Checked today and the seven (3 fosters and 4 siblings) are going strong and appear to be well fed!!!

Thanks
Spoton
elferoz777

Fostering with goulds is easy and generally good practice when parents abandon young.

Sounds like you did a great job.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like he is a very good dad. And has a good little mate as well.
LML
LML
spoton

Just an update - 7 survivors are fat as can be!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Breeding Finches”