Gouldian Fledged with colour

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tiaris wrote:I typically notice slight dimorphism at fledging but these ones are exceptional. The white throat is also prominent even on the young hen siblings. Would be very interesting to see if these young males mature with brighter than usual colour after the moult. I'd ring them & compare them to others later.
I would do the same...impressive :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Daniel

Hi everyone, Thanks for all of the compliments! I didn't think this would have gathered this much attention, how wrong was I.

werty wrote:
Daniel wrote:Hi All,
Has anyone seen a gouldian Fledge with colour, I have a nest of 5, the last 2 to fledge come out with colour. One has a bit of colour and the last has a lot of colour.

Cheers
Daniel.
Is that normal?

You must have super gouldians
I'm not to sure about super gouldians, But I'll happily except it. :lol:
matcho wrote:As said by others "very unusual."

They look like "keepers" to me to see if the trait is carried on. Would also keep tabs on the parents to see if next clutch has similar properties.

Ken.
Looking back at the photos. A few of the first clutch of 7 had a bit of colour in them, but not as much as the one in this clutch.
Tiaris wrote:I typically notice slight dimorphism at fledging but these ones are exceptional. The white throat is also prominent even on the young hen siblings. Would be very interesting to see if these young males mature with brighter than usual colour after the moult. I'd ring them & compare them to others later.
Thanks for the advise, I have put a second ring on to see what happens. :thumbup:
ShaneGowland wrote:To be able to sex young Gouldians from such a young age would be a great boon to many breeders. Good luck producing more of these :)
How can you tell what the sex will be at such an young age?
Finchy wrote:Those are amazing. Beautiful little youngsters and something I've never seen before.

What are you feeding them ?! :boggle:
Thanks, I feed them Avigrain red finch mix (As blue was unavailable at the time), Egg and Biscuit mix, Sprouted seed (Avigrain Blue finch mix), Green Millet.
elferoz777 wrote:Must be that lovely north wollongong air ;-)

great looking birds regardless of the colour.

flick me a pm if you ever sell your excess as those birds look good.
It must be something in the air around here :P . If I sell any I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Daniel
matcho

Daniel,

I would keep the parent pair if they keep on throwing these type of chicks, plus a couple of the chicks to see if it is an inherited trait.

Good luck

Ken.
Daniel

matcho wrote:Daniel,

I would keep the parent pair if they keep on throwing these type of chicks, plus a couple of the chicks to see if it is an inherited trait.

Good luck

Ken.
Hi Ken, I've already decided that i'm going to keep the parents, and will more then likely keep some of the young.
finchbird2015

Wow cool Daniel i have never seen that before over here,i hope you have more like this. :thumbup:
Daniel

finchbird2015 wrote:Wow cool Daniel i have never seen that before over here,i hope you have more like this. :thumbup:
Me too.
Daniel

Hi All,
Just thought that I would put some up to date pictures up of this special little fella a year on from when he was born. I have split his mother and father up and it appears that some of the mothers new young are coming out the fledged the same. Although not as bright. I also kept 2 of his sisters. Some of their young are fledging with a colour as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

He has a distinct blue suffusion on the grey face which many breeders of BH SF Euro yellows are trying to produce. Worth breeding from for that trait alone. Interesting that the throat doesn't have the blue suffusion whereas the "coloured area" as per RH & YH Gouldians does.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great colour, and what T said.
LML
LML
iva

Not as bright as Daniel's fledgling however this one has some color too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Breeding Finches”