Clutch size

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
matcho

Craig52 wrote:
dazzab wrote:I've thought of another question so will ask it in this thread.
I'm spelling my birds through the winter. Not separating the birds, just not feeding the extra foods and giving nesting material. I have still left some brush in the aviary and there is some straw on the full concrete floor. I haven't identified where the birds spend the cooler nights. Would it be a major shock to them if I removed all brush and straw? Would they be using this to keep warm at night? Obviously with some brush in the aviary there is still a chance of them trying to nest while its cold and I don't want them too. Possibly using the straw for the nest maybe. Should I just take everything out and leave it out until spring? Will it upset the birds too much?
Daz
Daz,it's not a good idea to remove everything now.Your birds will use the brush and old nests to roost in at night. If you want to rest your birds from breeding you will have to separate the sexes but if you leave them there and just feed the basics some will still want to continue to breed. It's a catch 22 and depending on what you keep,some species breed over our Winter including gouldians.

Craig

Just beat me Craig. Never a truer word said. :clap:

Ken
dazzab

Thanks Craig and Ken

I'll have to leave them for now. Don't have the facilities or space for separating. I only have the one aviary.
If I had have removed it all when it was a bit warmer would that have been fine?

Daz
tonytoast

Just as an FYI, my Stars only breed in the colder months....two pair sitting right now.
Craig52

dazzab wrote:Thanks Craig and Ken

I'll have to leave them for now. Don't have the facilities or space for separating. I only have the one aviary.
If I had have removed it all when it was a bit warmer would that have been fine?

Daz
No mate,forget about it and keep your fingers crossed that you will get some young through the Winter. Craig

Return to “Breeding Finches”