Yellow Siskin Trio Breeding

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
elferoz777

Hi all

Not sure if I have asked this previously but has anyone bred yellow siskins in trios?

My initial thoughts are it wont work in a 2.5x1.0 aviary but then again I dont know.

I have a spare hen and would prefer pull her from one of my muling cages to make more siskins.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Tiaris

I have bred yellow siskins as trios, albeit in larger aviaries than the one you mention. But it generally works quite well with them & I'm running a trio of them for the coming Spring along with other single pairs. I friend recently told me he had a very productive breeding season last year from 1 cock with 5 hens in one aviary.
elferoz777

Thanks.

I have 5 prs and 2 spare hens so I guess I can affiafafford to trial it.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Birds_lover

I'm very interested in knowing the result of the trio, as I have a pair and a spare hen of yellow siskin.

The aviary that I have for the pair is 2m long, 1m wide and 2m height.
SteveP

I tried 2x trios a couple of seasons ago in planted aviaries 2.5m x 7m with other species. The hens fought the whole season, lots of infertility and tossed chicks. Result was 4 young from both pairs. Last season I had the same birds and removed the extra hen from each aviary and bred 17.

It didn't work for me but I've heard it work ok for others, perhaps my aviaries aren't big enough to support a trio? I learnt from my experience and will stick to pairs.

Note - I tried the same with a singers in the same aviaries through the winter months and had to remove the extra hens from each aviary as they were bashing each other.

Cheers steve
Birds_lover

Thanks Steve. If your aviary wasn't big enough I won't even try in mine.
Tiaris

I had exactly the same experience as Steve with Singers but the Yellow Siskins went fine with no bickering between hens. Also had similar success with Red Siskins using trios.
Birds_lover

Tiaris wrote:I had exactly the same experience as Steve with Singers but the Yellow Siskins went fine with no bickering between hens. Also had similar success with Red Siskins using trios.

How big was the aviary the birds were in Tiaris?
elferoz777

Ill post a pic of my trio set up soon.

So far hens seem fine. Hens in other aviaries are chasing other cup nesters if right now so maybe I got lucky with my trio. will know for sure when nesting kicks off in full.
elferoz777

Ok, the shot facing out to the yard is where I house my trio of Oriental Greenfinches.

The breeder told me that one cock will easily put five hens down so I figured I would trial a trio in a 2.6 by 1.2 flight with just the three of them.

The siskins are in the same size. I will shortly be moving the gouldians out (might keep a pair in there) and brushing the back corner where the basket is hanging.

As mentioned before, they seem ok so far. I have all 5 yellow siskin cocks singing and chasing hens atm.

The only agro bird is my spare canary pair. The hen beats the crap out of everything. I have found the nest she has built in the next material tray so I kinda get her agro.

The siskins seem fine.....lets hope it means the trio works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Breeding Finches”