Keep it real ( lol

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Slick

very rarely would I comment on people's post but reading some bs about Gouldian breeding 2015 (blocked for some reason that I can not comment) was very interesting how some people only breed birds for $$$ , Iv been burnt a lot off times by dishonest breeders but that's life there still is the very genuine honest breeders out about so thought I'll share my way off purchasing finches , health off course is important and state of avairy and that the breeder documents all his birds then you know what your buying any way good luck and happy breeding
Money comes and goes but your Morality comes and grows
elferoz777

True. You can't buy back a reputation.

Unless you have an aviary full of blue tanagers you more than likely won't make enoufh for it to be worth the damage.

Personally I like to see the aviary and get to know the breeder. If I sense they have no clue or are selling for a mate I skip them. I dabble in species that can be hybridised easily so im always careful (especially when an oriental greenfinch breeder also sells euro greenfinches).

I get too attached to my birds to sell em for a quick dollar...would take the fun out of it.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
E Orix

I presume it was blocked because it became too personal. If I was still in admin I would have done the same.

People have every right to sell birds for what they want, the market will tell you what $can be gained.
It annoys me when people spout off it's a hobby, I don't like selling my birds etc etc.
If it wasn't for the breeders pushing out stock those people would have very little to keep.
I sell a reasonable number of birds, but my feed bill for the last season was around $2000
my DNA bill was close to $1000. plus all the other extras.
What ever I need for my hobby and it still is a hobby my birds must cover it.
My collection wasn't built over night, by selling lower priced birds it enabled me to move up.
Not every one wishes to do that but would rather have a small collection, this is great and is a sound choice.
werty

Slick wrote:very rarely would I comment on people's post but reading some bs about Gouldian breeding 2015 (blocked for some reason that I can not comment) was very interesting how some people only breed birds for $$$ , Iv been burnt a lot off times by dishonest breeders but that's life there still is the very genuine honest breeders out about so thought I'll share my way off purchasing finches , health off course is important and state of avairy and that the breeder documents all his birds then you know what your buying any way good luck and happy breeding
Money comes and goes but your Morality comes and grows
here's a tip so you don't get burned

visit the breeders aviaries, ask questions

at the end of the day it is up to you as a buyer to make a decision on purchasing a breeders birds

when it comes to price, well when I have to get up at 5am just to feed my birds 365 days a year, I try and get top dollar

my birds, my wallet, not giving anything away for free :thumbup:
arthur

You can be a good breeder, a moral person, and also profit from your breeding

The criteria are not mutually exclusive

I would be surprised if any breeder was ONLY in it for the money

The words are often used by unsuccessful people who are envious of those who can cover their outgoings, or can turn a profit

Most people who work for a living are only in it for the money; I know I was, even though I liked my job

If they won lotto tomorrow they would stop; but this doesn't necessarily make them immoral, or unprofessional in their ethical approach to their work

Whereas 99.9% of bird breeders would increase their involvement in the hobby if "lady Luck' smiled upon them

Return to “Breeding Finches”