Star Finches; bad luck, or am I missing something?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All the lists of "easiest" finches to breed usually include Stars right up there with Zebs and Emblemas. I've tried to breed them for almost three years (two different pairs, in different aviaries) and never got them to show even the slightest interest in breeding.

The Gouldians, Double Bars, RC Cordons, Tri-Coloured Parrotfinches and Emblemas they have been housed with have all successfully raised young, but the damn Stars just won't budge.

Are there any "silver bullets" to Star Finch success I should know about? Different diet or nest type/material? Maybe some finch-sized lingerie and sensual music?
Painted4

I've got exactly the same issue, glad i'm not the only one
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lots of seeding grasses. .sprouted seed greens...supply couch runners and feathers...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
matcho

Agree with Vettepilot on the diet side of things.

But, I found with first starting single pairs weren't the way to go. 2 pairs together with a spare hen did the trick. Bred like Zebs when they got started. Don't have too many because I found that there will be a single male who gets all the attention of the females and when it comes to doing the "biz" other females will interfere. Small amounts of live mini mealies didn't hurt. I have a sh..load at the moment who are just starting to try but have the hens now chasing one cock bird. Time to reduce the numbers , back to one or two pairs. They are very inquisitive and tend to rip *censored* out of anything green and growing and can upset things like painteds on the nest by pinching nest material.

Ken.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Live food, sprouted seed, fresh seed and greens are all fed, so it can't be that. You may be onto something with the colony preference though. They're not really something I want to run multiple pairs of though.

Thanks for the tips.
Craig52

Can you show us some pics of your stars Shane?
matcho

Shane,

Just put the two pairs in the same aviary and see how they go, maybe with an extra hen. I must say one thing though, if you have access to white feathers (old pillow) it may be the trigger you need. You might be pleasantly surprised. Now is the time to do it. Just put the weaned chicks in a separate cage/aviary because they mature quite quickly and can become quite disruptive.

Good luck

Ken.
arthur

White feathers . .

Stars and Plumheads

And . . Keep your fingers out of their nests
matcho

arthur wrote:White feathers . .

Stars and Plumheads

And . . Keep your fingers out of their nests
Oh Arthur...

How right you are :clap:
Numo1975

For an "easy finch" they can be frustrating!
I struggle with painteds as well even though they are one of my favourites.... The challenge of the obsession I suppose.

I remember when I was a kid , my uncle bred blue bonnet parrots year after year ,frustrated the hell out of my my old man.

Return to “Breeding Finches”