2 eggs 1 day

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
jojomojo82

Hi. I'm new to breeding finches. I have 2 pairs of zebra finches in with 2 pairs of budgies. I provided 2 wooden boxes (intended for the budgies) and 2 paper mâché ball nests (intended for the finches). Seems like they have their own ideas lol. So they have chewed the paper mâché balls so much that they are not safe to use as nests. I have been away for nearly a week and checked the boxes this morning and found 1 finch egg in one of the wooden boxes. This afternoon I went to show my daughter the egg only to find 3 finch eggs. Is it possible for 1 finch to lay 2 eggs in one day or has the 2 females both laid an egg in there? If so, is this going to be a problem? I noticed 1 of the finches going into the other box but one of the girl budgies kept chasing her away from it as she has claimed it as hers I think. What should I do? I think
I'll put 2 more wooden boxes in. But are all 3 finch eggs safe together? Who will sit on them? Any? TIA
Tiaris

Both hens most likely.
werty

The budgies will slaughter the finches chicks when they hatch
elferoz777

werty wrote:The budgies will slaughter the finches chicks when they hatch
They sure will! Thry are murderous creatures.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You have 4 hen birds so you need a minimum of 5 nests, as every woman is entitled to a choice. As they prefer wooden boxs put all wooden boxs, BUT make some with budgie size holes and some with finch size holes (ideally 3 of each) that way the finch chicks are safe from the budgies. Yes I breed finches and my mother breeds budgies. And due to lack of nests your finch girls have decided to share. Being Zebs this is not a problem, and will even happen when they do not have to share on some occassions.
LML
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”