early season for Pin tails?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
jonno0383

Hi everyone. Just a random question for anyone who's bred Pin tailed Whydahs.
I have a pair at the moment, both male and hen are out of colour, yet my boy is in full display and the hen is visiting the brush in search of saint nests.
Should I be looking at starting them early or make them wait til they've gained there nuptial plumage?
At the same time I have Madagascars, uncoloured, on eggs so could it just be the right conditions?
any help appreciated thanks. :D
E Orix

I doubt if the male Pintail will be fertile but that aside look at the females beak.
When she is in full breeding condition her beak will change from red to black.
Personally I think it is too early and even if she is ready are your saints ready
I generally get my first young Pintails mid/late November.
Madagascar Weavers are the first to start breeding actually anything up to 2+ months before the Grenadiers which should
be next. then Napoleons and finally Orange Bishops generally here about mid November.
I hope you do well
jonno0383

cheers Orix.
her beak is still red and I agree it does seem too early for them to be going down.
I had a hunt around the flight and found the saints have scrounged enough materials to make 3 nests (on the floor as I haven't supplied nesting sites and material yet) so time will tell but I won't get my hopes up. :shifty:
From what I've experienced with the other weavers I keep, your dates are spot on as my grenadiers and Napoleons are more summer breeders, but even the Grenadiers are starting to buzz now.
I tend to wait untill I see colour coming through before supplying nesting material. That is what I'm planning with the pin-taileds as well but I've been surprised before. If I have another good year this year I may even consider the Orange Bishops If I can find them and I'm not giving up on my dream to keep and breed red shoulders until the last one. fingers crossed. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Return to “Breeding Finches”