Red & Yellow Siskin breeding season

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Birds_lover

Hi there!

I have one pair of yellow and another one of red siskins. The cocks are already whistling, but the hens don't show any signs that they are in condition. Is it still too early for them to breed? I have put the cup nest for the yellow siskin pair, but haven't put for the reds because the hen doesn't sit on the young at night, and here in Brisbane the temperature goes as low as 15C overnight in Sept/Oct.

PS: The pairs are in separate outdoor cages.

Thank you in advance!!
Craig52

Birds_lover wrote:Hi there!

I have one pair of yellow and another one of red siskins. The cocks are already whistling, but the hens don't show any signs that they are in condition. Is it still too early for them to breed? I have put the cup nest for the yellow siskin pair, but haven't put for the reds because the hen doesn't sit on the young at night, and here in Brisbane the temperature goes as low as 15C overnight in Sept/Oct.

PS: The pairs are in separate outdoor cages.

Thank you in advance!!
I don't believe it's too early for them,the cocks will bring them into condition by feeding them and continual whistling to them. I might be wrong but red siskins breed a lot earlier than yellows so their season may be over.
As far as your overnight temps are concerned,that's a heat wave in Vic over Winter early Spring :D Craig
elferoz777

My red siskins dont go down until December for the first nest and they ususlly go 3 rounds.

Not sure on the yellows as this is my first year. My 5 cock birds have been sining since April but no signs of nesting yet.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Craig52

elferoz777 wrote:My red siskins dont go down until December for the first nest and they ususlly go 3 rounds.

Not sure on the yellows as this is my first year. My 5 cock birds have been sining since April but no signs of nesting yet.
Thanks elferoz, i thought it was before or after Spring for the reds. Craig
Tiaris

Have both currently sitting. The younger pairs are still fooling about. Both are spring - autumn breeders.
elferoz777

Id put the nests in bird lover.

They may take a week or 3 to settle by then it should be warm. Move all brush away from and drafty areas and they should be ok.

I wish mine would go down!
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Birds_lover

Thanks for the replies.

I don't keep brush in the cage/aviary, just cup nest. I hope it's ok.

Does the yellow siskin hen sit on the chicks at night? I know the red doesn't.
SamDavis

I have a few pair of Red Siskins on eggs now. Does seem a bit earlier than previous years.
Birds_lover

For all of you who have red siskin on eggs now. How are you going to cope with the cold temperatures during the night, as the hen doesn't sit on the chicks.
Tiaris

The hen broods the young until 9 days old with Reds & 10-11 days with Yellows. The Reds at 9+ days old are vulnerable if you have a colder than usual night and there are less than 3 young in the clutch. Larger clutches tend to be more able to withstand cooler nights due the greater body warmth of their extra siblings. Once they get to about 12 days they have feathers so its just the immediate few days from 9-12 days old which is the crucial period for Red Siskins. I have never lost a young Yellow Siskin in the nest at the same stage due to cold.

Return to “Breeding Finches”