Newby, keeping/breeding finch's in sub zero temps.

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
metaltrades01

Hi their,
I live west of Toowoomba and I am building a bank of suspended cages, the winter minimum temps go down to -4° & -5°C.

In these temps will the birds require heating.? Or if I buy local birds will that be ok.? (Ideally I would rather not use heating).

The plan is (any advise appreciated) to have a bank of cages made from 6mm square mesh (with solid zincalume deviders between each cage) will be well protected from the wind, backing onto a wall, a completed covered roof with solid and clear roofing material which will extend out 1200mm in front of the cages. And their will also be a wall approx 1200mm high & 1200mm in front of them with 12mm mesh (vertically) from the wall to the roof that extends out from the cages to form a bird proof corridor.

Any recommendations about types of birds to breed would be helpful- (feeding live food is an option) & I have bred Budgies & Zebra's before. I gather that any birds who's natural habitat is in central Australia, ie Painted's would be ok.?

The suspended cages will back onto a wall & face Nor North East and will get the morning sun in winter, but not in summer during the breeding season. Which maybe an issue.?

Thanks
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not a fan of suspended aviaries for finches...but in saying that its not cold (usually ) but drafts and damp that knock them off the perch...so my question is how do you stop drafts coming up from the floor?
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbird2015

We do get temps as low as that where iam and to the extent where the birds bath water being on the floor will form a thin layer of ice.
Normally this happens during a hard frost been then a sunny warmer days follows. Birds seem to adapt quickly to temperate change as long as they are free of drafts like vettepilot stated.
suspended aviaries? never had them but yes how do people stop the drafts coming up from the bottom?
As a kiwi i must laugh -4 to -5 in the sunshine state 100 miles from surfers paradise dont figure :lolno:
metaltrades01

Thank's for your replies,
Good to hear that I don't need heating. We are moving in a couple of years so a permanent avairy is out of the question for now.

As described the suspended cages will be individually separated, backed onto a solid wall, enclosed each end, with a roof overhead extending out to above another wall, with a 700mm vertical openning (1200-1800mm above the ground) which will be covered in mesh, so I am thinking it is fairly well enclosed from drafts.

We are west of Toowoomba on the western downs, Stanthorpe is about 150 km away and the coldest place in Qld :)

Given the colder winters, which breed/s of finchs are the easier ones to breed.?

Thanks
toothlessjaws

I wouldn't go there. Finches spend a lot of time on the ground, which will be completely denied to them in suspended aviaries. I would suspect this will have a detrimental effect on their health and chances of breeding and as has been said the draft issue is going to be a big problem.

Why not build yourself a treated pine planter box with removable bolts and tack mouseproof wire to the bottom. then fill with soil and plant out as desired. this can serve as the (mouse proof) foundation to the aviary and can simply be unbolted and taken with you or left as a garden bed when you move out.

I'm a renter and thats what i do. Cheap, quick and easy to make and you will get to have a nice planted aviary for your birds.
metaltrades01

Sorry I am slow replying due to pc issues :)

Rather than suspended cages, I am hedging towards a standard type ground avairy. Yes keeping the drafts out of a suspended cage would be an issue, especially here where it is very open and windy.

If I were to build a bank of 3 or 4 aviaries, I would completely cover in the back and ends, and cover the roof with solid & clear roofing.
Is just mesh ok between each avairy ok.?

Or, to stop drafts (& - not sure if this happens- a bird in one avairy being distracted by another bird in the next avairy & not breeding) should I use say zinc alume sheet between each avairy.?

Or sheeting & double wire in the flight area.?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All sounds good...depending on species you want to keep.....mesh is usually fine between aviaries...but some species will require a better barrier :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Craig52

Well done on your decision and i agree with VP, i do have banks of aviaries and they are divided by a plant nursery product called Solar weave which is opaque and a closed weave. Craig
metaltrades01

I like Firetails, any suggestions about birds would be appreciated.

I figure its easier to separate the aviaries whilst building them than later. I have Googled "Solar Weave", is it used on its own or with the wire mesh.?

& what is the best way to attach it to the steel frame.?
Craig52

metaltrades01 wrote:I like Firetails, any suggestions about birds would be appreciated.

I figure its easier to separate the aviaries whilst building them than later. I have Googled "Solar Weave", is it used on its own or with the wire mesh.?

& what is the best way to attach it to the steel frame.?
Mine is used on its own but unfortunately if you have steel :thumbdown: you will have to nog out with timber to fix it as i have 40x40mm pine studs. The solar weave is UV treated and lasts 30 plus years or longer. It has been fixed with a pneumatic flat stapler and is tight as a drum and very easy to keep clean. Craig

Return to “Breeding Finches”