Double Bar nest.

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
matcho

Hamman,

I have had similar with small cane nests, had twenty in one. Goulds, Stars and painteds are all I keep. The eggs are all different sizes. Just the way things go. Hens are ready and lay, they need somewhere and suppose they choose it. None of the eggs were fertile, all clear. No hen tried to sit. When the cock birds got fair dinkum and started with courting and nest building, things were different.

Ken.
hamman

Cheers for the comments. Bit of a progress update for those who posted and others who were interested...

I think the main issue in this situation was the BFPF Cock bird being over eager to start new nests.

I reset everything and started again. As soon as I could see chicks in the BFPF nest I removed the cock Bird. This left the aviary in a far calmer environment than previous.
The Double bar pair settled down again and commenced nesting. The BFPF has fledged 5 young and seems to feed them and herself comfortably. New issues is now 6 other birds for the DB pair to chase away from there nest as the young don't care where they land. 1 more week and ill move them away from the Hen. I might wait sometime for the DB pair to hopefully raise a nest before I introduce a BFPF cock bird back to the Hen. Also may try a different combination as I have another pair which don't seem to have much luck so im interested to split them and see if there is a genuine issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Breeding Finches”