Double Bar nest.

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
hamman

Hi All.
Having noticed eggs in nest but not being able to routinely check as one was often sitting as were other species in the aviary I left my Double bars alone. Last two day both have been in aviary where before one was always sitting. Had the opportunity to check nest and found this. Any ideas? 16 in total. Have had success breeding other finches but never with Double bars. Only one pair in the aviary( or possible just two hens) cheers
eggs 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Painted4

No idea about the eggs, but with my Double-Bars they've always abandoned the nest if I was to look at/in it.
hamman

Cheers for the reply. I don't usually do nest inspections in the aviaries. I prefer to leave them be and just count days rough to when things should be happening. Wasn't prepared for that many eggs though I hadn't heard anything from chicks and both birds were more active. I expect to see an abandoned nest of 4-5 eggs. I've taken nest out hopefully they can have a break though I have other boxes in the aviary with Parrot finches sharing this aviary. I know they like to roost so will see how they go.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have found that Double Bars breed better in groups of 3 or more. But that may just be my lot.
LML
LML
Tiaris

Those eggs look to be different shapes & sizes which points to more than one bird (& perhaps species) doing the laying.
Do you provide grasses. etc for nesting material?
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It may just be my eyes, but it looks like some of those eggs have been sitting there for quite a while.

Personally, I'd remove them all; clean the nest and put it back in there with some fresh swamp grass.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It does seem to have very little nesting material in it. So putting lots more material for their use may help. Assorted grasses, feathers, coconut or palm fibre, shredded white tissues. All are very popular. And just in case there is nest sharing happening, perhaps put a few more different size and type nesst round the avairy.
LML
LML
hamman

Cheers All. I do provide grasses for nest Material and also have boxes and the wicker nest in the pic 6 in total. There is only two pair of birds in this aviary - the Double bars and a pair of BFPF. They nest without issues and jam pack the nest boxes full of material. Never had issues breeding them before. I did put only a small amount of material in this nest. The DB took to roosting in it quite rapidly but didn't start laying till 3 weeks ago. I removed the nest and discarded eggs. Do you think I should persevere with this pair or try buying a couple of cock birds? Do you think it is a pair? cheers again for your replies.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So material and available nests are not the issue. Eliminating things is good. If it was me I would go and buy another pair and add to the avairy, at least then you will have 1 pair and maybe 2, and they like being in mini flocks.
LML
LML
Maurice

Bichenos are probably the most loving birds you will see in an aviary. Always preening each other. Put ten in an aviary and you will have a very compact row of birds, squeezing up together. Occasionally the outer one will hop up and land in the middle and all will shuffle along and make room, and no agro whatsoever. Imagine a gouldian even landing close to another, even it's mate, it is likely to receive the sharp end of a beak. No lovey dovey with them.

Don't even think of inspecting a bicheno nest. Best way to sex them is to have each with a different coloured ring and watch which one carries grass around and there you will have your cock bird. That nest you had was feral, you don't have nests with eggs like that in a proper rearing situation.

Good luck with these little charmers.
Maurice.

Return to “Breeding Finches”