Yellow siskin cock not ready yet

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Birds_lover

I have a pair of yellow siskin in a small aviary 2m (L) x 1.8 (H) x 1m (W). The cock is whistling well but doesn't drop his wings and doesn't chase the hen as expected. In fact, when the hen gets closer he opens his wings and beak and scare her away.

Those are the only birds that I have in this aviary. No signs of breeding so far. I feed them finch mix, sprouted seed, greens seed and garden weeds. I have two cup nests (one of them hiding with artificial plants and one brush.

Am I missing something? Anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance!
Tiaris

Plenty of coconut fibre, teased hessian & cotton waste available plus plenty of regular greens.
If he's whistling & shaping up to her he's probably doing the right thing & it may be her who is lagging.
Tiaris

Mine all build their own nests in the brush. Provide a couple of dense bunches for them.
Birds_lover

The brush is already there. I'll increase the amount of coconut fiber then. Thanks!
Birds_lover

Just a few days after posting this thread here the yellow siskin pair seems to be bonded, a the hen and cock are "kissing" and carrying coconut fiber.

I think they are building the nest in a cup nest surrounded by plastic plants.

I think I'm in the right track. Now I have to wait for the red siskin pair, as the hen doesn't show any breeding sign, although they also "kissing".
Birds_lover

I have a quick question and I think you can help me out.

My yellow siskin hen laid her first egg today. The thing is she's already sitting on the egg. I thought she'd start sitting just after laying the third or fourth egg.

Is it normal? If she keeps doing this, the chicks will be born days apart and the youngest ones will struggle to feed and survive.
Tiaris

There will be a bit of a gap between them but good parents with good food will make up for this in most cases.
Birds_lover

I'm used to the canaries. If you don't remove the eggs until the hen lays all 4, there is no way the younger ones live. As I'm a newbie with siskins I wasn't sure what to do. I will follow your advice. Thank you!

Return to “Breeding Finches”