Yellow Siskin x Goldfinch mule project

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
elferoz777

HI guys

check out my progress vid on you tube.

https://youtu.be/maDHP4zgcAU

3 eggs and she has not stopped sitting.

The goldfinch cock sits and guards the nest.

I originally had them paired over winter but separated them as I tried to get the goldfinch to put down a canary.

Midway through this process the lone siskin started nest building so I reintroduced the goldfinch. 9 days later 3 eggs.

I may candle them this weekend.........maybe...maybe waiting for them will be more exciting.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
elferoz777

Wish me luck

After a few failed nests and eaten eggs by the goldfinch i finally have a fertile egg. Candled this morning at about a week old. By sunday gid willing we will have a young yellow siskin x goldfinch mule.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
E Orix

Sorry but big deal what a waste of a Siskin
Trilobite

yes what a waste. I heard today some @*&*# up here is purposely crossing Crimsons with Stars - for what reason I dont know!
Cheers
Trilobite
arthur

To produce 'red dwarfs' . . p'haps??? :hothead:
elferoz777

I wouldn't expect many of you to see the value in doing this but it is a practice that has been in place for 100 of years and is quite high profile overseas.

Waste...I think not. She is a spare siskin with a spare goldfinch cock, the waste would be not to breed them. After all the clear siskin nests this year im surprised this one has taken.

Not a fan of crossing aussie finches though and I think crossing a start with a crimson is a bit silly. Hopefully the offspring wont be fertile in that pairing.

This practice is love or hate so I respect the many opinions but dont always agree.
Blue Cuban

Good luck mate and all the best keep the updates coming.
Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

elferoz777 wrote:I wouldn't expect many of you to see the value in doing this but it is a practice that has been in place for 100 of years and is quite high profile overseas.
This practice is love or hate so I respect the many opinions but dont always agree.

Maybe has been done but for what purpose? Singing? Surely if they think a Goldfinch or Siskin sings nicer...they can get a canary to do the same? I just don't see the purpose..but each to their own :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Tiaris

The average male canary would be a far better singer than the best Siskin or Goldfinch.
E Orix

Every one is entitled to an opinion and that is as it should be.
But you are missing the point, in Europe it is a wide spread practice and the supply of stock
can be taken from the wild if so required. Here we do not have that, what we have in our aviaries
is it. Once gone that is it.
Having evolved from the 60's to now I have a reasonable grasp of our hobby and seen the high points and low points.
The breeders of today are far better at breeding larger quantities of birds. There are many reasons why.
Greater information available, easier access to specific diets etc.
Where the older breeder was Km's ahead was their ethics in keeping clear blood lines both in pushing that hybrids were
not good for Aust. aviculture. Mutations if they occur should be managed. To generalise, these ethics seem to have gone out the window.
Within 10 years I would be amazed if what non Aust. are not lost completely the rest will all have mutation genes in them.
It is frustrating to me, recently some Cordons I purchased to use as out crosses have produced birds with pied markings.
Luckily I can ID them and their young so they can be isolated. Just another specie ruined but that is my opinion and we are
all different.

Return to “Breeding Finches”