orange breast x ruddy

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
escapin

Just wondering if anyone has experienced ruddy crossing with an orange breast? I've got a bird in my aviary thats colouring up strangely. Red patches but with the orange chest with little grey flutes. interesting creature, he might turn into my office pet.

before I start to get bashed, I didnt do it on purpose, my finches dont seem to practice safe sex.
matcho

Escapin.

No bashing from here but would like to see some photos. Office pet would be nice.

Ken.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ditto photos for interests sake. Sometimes stuff happens as long as we do the right thing then. e.g. don't sell thats life. But glad I have my ruddy hen and OB cock in different avairys till I do some buying/swapping of young,
LML
LML
escapin

not the best pic.. that pics about a week old, I'll take another when I get a chance as his colour is changing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matcho

Escapin

They are both pretty birds at the best of times but are the offspring mules (sterile)?

Ken.
escapin

I caught him today to get some better pics.. looks like orangebreast x ruddy to me, but I have a wide variety of finches (more of a collector than a breeder) so who knows?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig52

Definately orange breast but not sure about x ruddy, time will tell though. A bit of protein deficiency going on there with the white flight feathers. Craig
Tiaris

I'd say definitely Ruddy too. I wouldn't worry about whether its fertile or not - it is about the same chance of winning tomorrow's powerball. The number of times those 2 species have shared breeding quarters over the years would be huge & its the first time I've seen or heard of that cross.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have always had mine together, only seperated at the moment because of sex imbalances. So just good luck that it was not me, cause I did not think of it when the sexs were even.
LML
LML
escapin

I recently moved house so backed off all live food and other goodies so they'd slow down on breeding which is why the protein deficiancy, now back on termites etc daily.

As much as people frown on cross breeding, I find it quite interesting. No worries about it polluting the gene pool as it will never be going anywhere.

Return to “Breeding Finches”