Cup nester season started

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
elferoz777

Had a snoop today and found

2 goldfinch nests
3 yellow siskin nests
1 canary nest
Goldfinch and yellow siskin mule nest
And my obvious 2 oriental greenfinch nests.

Hows everyone elses cup nesters going?
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Tiaris

1 Red & 5 Yellow Siskin nests active (only 1 young pr of Yellows without a nest that I know of) - no young fledged yet but there's some very enthusiastic devouring of green, sprouted & livefood by some pairs so it won't be long.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Canaries just hatched their second clutch for the season.
gouldianpaul

Hi All,

I was delighted to see my first pair of young yellow siskins fledged 3 young this morning. I know they had young, but as I have not disturbed them I had no idea how many young were in the nest.

3 youngsters hiding in the brush this morning was a great start to my day :clap: :clap: :clap:

As this is a young pair (and my first year with siskins) my expectations were not high, so I'm very happy they have started to produce young already.

cheers
Paul
Birds_lover

My result so far:

1 pair of yellow siskin - 1st clutch with 4 clear eggs :( This pair is going to the 2nd clutch.

1 pair of goldfinch & canary hen: hen is sitting ATM, 4 eggs in the nest, 3 of them clear. At least there is hope with one egg.

1 pair of red factor canaries: 3 chicks have fledged. Hen is sitting on 4 eggs (I don't know if there is any clear egg)

1 pair of red siskin: No breeding sign yet :(
Masterfincher

I bought a pair of goldfinches in the October 14 Bundaberg Bird Sale, was told they won't do well here because of the heat, so am surprised to find a nest with 5 eggs in it and the female sitting regularly :) Any tips on feeding would be appreciated. ATM they are getting greens, cucumber, mealworms and soaked seed.
Thanks.
E Orix

The problem is not when they are sitting but when the chicks start to feather.
The actual cup size of the nest is small and if some hot days are experienced the chicks suffer.
If they are advanced in feather they can and will sit on the nest edge or twigs nearby.
If you see this happening try not to scare them and they will be OK.
We have had several weeks of 30c days and mine have coped so far but the nests have only 2 or 3 eggs
not 5
I have found the Gold Finch one of the harder European finches to breed in an aviary yet they seem to do OK in
breeding cages which surprises me
Good luck.
holtz

One pair of Red Siskins have had 3 nests so far tossed all chicks out(4,3 and 2), It is hens first season that may be excuse,probably too young only12 months old.Older pair on 4 eggs due out this week,they are pretty reliable,another pair no sign. Holtz......................Frustrated but??

Return to “Breeding Finches”