Zebras as fosters - experiences?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
coxy_dc

Hello there,

I'm starting back up with Aussie finches after some time away, and in the process of buying up stock. I'm hoping to keep Plumheads, Longtails, maybe Chestnut Breasteds (if I can source sexed pairs here in the US), and possibly Diamond Firetails (thought these might be a later project).

While I want to encourage parent rearing in all of these birds, and I suspect some such as the Longtails will be fine, I'd like to have a least a couple of pairs of emergency fosters to hand. Previously I had bengalese as foster 'support', but overall I'd prefer to keep some rarer colour mutation zebras for interest.

Does anyone have any experiences, good or bad, in using zebras as fosters as an alternative to bengalese?

Happy to hear any details.

All the best, Neil
Maurice

Hi Neil, welcome back to the world of birds. In my opinion, regarding the birds you have specifically mentioned, they are all reasonably easy to breed. I think you are building walls for you to jump over, when no walls are needed. Just endeavour to make sure they are cock and hen, give them the conditions they need, then let nature take over. It is so much easier than your idea.

Kindest regard and good luck

Maurice.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree with M. Just get the birds you want to breed, keep up the greens to them, and hey presto, young. Well mostly.
LML
LML
coxy_dc

Thanks Guys,

I'm sure as usual I've been studying books too hard without learning from experience!

Thanks again for the feedback, Neil

Return to “Breeding Finches”