HELP! Cordon pair beating on ruddy chick.

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
toothlessjaws

I have a approx 2x2m aviary in which i have put 4 pair of finches, a pair of ruddies, a pair of cordons a pair of OB's and a pair of painteds. Too many i know!

I have taken out the OB's due to treatment for air sac mites (hen was gasping).

the painteds are sitting on eggs.

and the ruddies fledged a chick precisely a week ago.

however i noticed after a day or so the ruddy chick was looking a little worse for wear. he seemed scalped on his head and since the Cordons are being particularly aggressive of late i suspected it might be them. i considered taking out the cordons as i was pretty certain that they were not sitting, but i left things to chance and the next day the ruddy chick was doing okay. seemed stronger and parents seemed to be very protective of it and and keeping it away from the cordons.

Today i came home and found two cordon chicks have fledged. which is great but the ruddy chick has had its tail pulled out and has obviously had a rough day.

my question is - can i take out the ruddy chick? i have seen him eating seed on his own, but he's still begging for food. I suspect the ruddies have more chicks in the nest also...
Craig52

Still too young imo, at least 3 weeks from fledging before moving. Take the chance and leave it there :thumbup: Craig
toothlessjaws

thanks craig. fingers crossed - he's a tough little chick but he's taken a beating. :cry:
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Im with Craig....although if breeding from now on you may have to rethink your aviary size?
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
toothlessjaws

vettepilot , believe me, if i could, i would. unfortunately I rent and only have a very small yard. i've managed to squeeze in two small aviaries, but there just isn't room for anything much more.

The ruddy chick is still alive and quite alert and seeming well, despite his looks - tail feathers plucked an a scalped head.
jonno0383

One suggestion that could work if things get too nasty is putting the chick into a smaller cage (one of those $50 black things are ideal). use perches that are longer than the cage and let them stick out then put it somewhere sheltered in your aviary. I've used this method for particularly aggressive crimson cock birds and the parents could still feed the chick through the gaps in the bars. hope this is helpful.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or have a heavily bushed corner that junior can hide in when not feeding. Most aggressive birds will allow escape in those circumstances. And most birds recognise a safe haven even when young.
LML
LML
toothlessjaws

jonno0383, thats a brilliant idea.

If things get too nasty i'll give that a go, as i have one of those el-cheapo black cages that i use as emergency or temporary accommodation.

Ruddy chick has made it 2 weeks. he's tough and learnt to fear the cordons. I am concerned that he doesn't get enough of the livefood. i suspect he's being fed almost exclusively seed. The Cordons and Painteds seem to have come to a power-sharing arrangement and hog all the maggots, though its only the cordons that behave aggressively to the ruddy's.
jonno0383

thats a common problem. Just put in a second feeding station. just don't place it close to the current one and you'll find that they will have better access to your livefood then :thumbup:
toothlessjaws

thanks for the advice jonno, i already had two feeding stations - both were guarded fiercely. fortunately the ruddy parents picked up their game and started protecting the chick better. i also noticed they became bossier and started boldly taking maggots (i suspect thats because they have more chicks in nest though). The Ruddy chick made it and can probably get removed now as its been almost 4 weeks since fledge. 2 Cordons chicks very strong and healthy and 3 painted firetails just left nest as well.

Return to “Breeding Finches”