grenadere weaver nesting matl.

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
shnapper20

hi Ive been breeding weavers with minor success for about six years, one of the people I originally purchased weavers from recommended using sisal rope cut to 8" lengths boiled then pulled apart to fibers and given to the birds to weave with. I also have planted in the aviary fountain grass and elephant grass both recommended for weavers. The birds haven't touched the grasses to weave with, they love the sisal, however 3yrs ago one of my hens got her leg caught in it and she was dead when I found her. Last yr one of the young had a toe missing assumed lost in the nest due to sisal, and today one of my hens is favoring one leg again I assume she hurt it with the sisal. The sisal fiber is fine and strong. Now has anyone else experienced this ?am I right to assume its the sisal ? note none of the other inhabitants of the aviary have had foot injuries, just the weavers.
Should I stop using the sisal? what else can I give them? should I give them nothing which would encourage them to attach the grasses? any responses greatly appreciated. thanks john
E Orix

Is it true vegetable sisal or a man made fibre that looks like sisal.
If it is the man made type don't use it as the fibres are so fine that they can get caught up on the birds leg scales
I used sisal for years without a problem, they stopped tying the news papers bundles up with it so I couldn't get any.
These days my Weavers get coconut fibre and they strip the reeds.
shnapper20

thanks for the reply david, I thought it was the real stuff, ill start giving them coconut fibre from here on in

Return to “Breeding Finches”