Diamond firetails

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
iwtand

Hi folks turns out the pair of firetails I have are actually 2 hens I removed 14 eggs from the nest box! What I need to know is I have acquired a cock bird should I just put him in the aviary with the 2 hens or what would you suggest? Thanks, Ian
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would put him in and let him choose his mate then remove the spare one.. :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
karl

Yes ian just put him straight in with the hens :thumbup:
iwtand

Thanks for the replys I went ahead and put him in but one of the hens is very aggressive towards him so I checked the nest box and another 5 eggs in there! So I have taken the 3 of them out and put them in separate cages and removed all the eggs from the nest box. I will keep them apart for about a week then put them all back in their aviary at the same time. Any thoughts?
COUNTRY CAPITAL

mature pairing can be a problem as you found out.
I like your separate and reintro action, good luck with them.
change a few things like rebrush the walls etc so when you reintroduce them it will be a neutral zone for all.
hopefully they will busy themselves checking out the new surroundings while getting to know each other.
you don't mention how large there enclosure is....if its a breeding cabinet then all I can do is wish you luck..... :thumbup:
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.
iwtand

Hi the enclosure is about 7ft x5ft x 6ft with just the fire tails in it hopefully they pair up and I will remove the spare hen so only have one pair in it

Return to “Breeding Finches”