Number of pairs in Aviary

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Krebsj

My aviary is 1.83 x 2.75 and 2.0 high so 5 meters square. I house two pair of Gouldians, two pair of Orange Breasts and one pair of Cordons. In this aviary I have a cabinet just over half a meter in size, but over this cabinet there is a 60 cm gap. So the birds have approximately 4.5 meters of open aviary roof to floor and half a metre of 60 cm fly space. Do other members have similar setups? and can I regard my aviary as 5 meters square thus being able to house 5 pair ?. To compensate and achieve 5 meters square of roof to floor space would involve extending the front section and back, and a redo of the roof. A lot of trouble and something I would like to avoid if I can.

by Krebsj Wagga
toothlessjaws

i have an aviary of similar size and find that despite having 4 pairs in it, i'm only getting 3 pairs breeding so far due to territorial behaviour over the maggots. two stations doesn't make a difference because the floor space isn't large enough to have the stations far enough apart and the more aggressive birds just leap between the two stations chasing other birds away. guess it largely comes down to the species and individual birds. i certainly wouldn't be adding any more birds.
Tiaris

If breeding is a priority, I would house just one pair each of those 3 species in your flight.
iva

My aviary is 1.5x 4 x 2.1 m and I have pair of Red Face Parrots, 2 pairs of Painted Red, 1 Cordons, 1 European Goldfinches, 1 Cuban pair , 2 pairs of Gouldians which are breeding.
Also Pair of Orange breasted and Green Singers that do nothing(just looking good)
I put zebras and Canaries in breeding cages.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As a general rule of thumb. And birds have not always read the rule. Most birds do best in single pairs of each type. Or in groups of 3 pairs. Because with 2 pairs there is frequently a constant squable to be top pair. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
LML
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”