Bracken furn for nesting???

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Rob

Hi many years ago i used to use alot of bracken fern for my finches to nest in with no problem and with huge success (they nested like crazy in it). I've set up a new aviary after a hiatus. I keep reading of the toxicity of bracken fern for birds and more so cattle. What do you all think about it? Who uses it? What do you use?

Another thing is on galvo paint or spray. I don't use it for fear of zinc poisoning. I know it's more critical for parrots who chew at it but what about finches. Does anyone use it on their aviary?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I just use the seeding grass plants themselves, and couch grass for my birds nesting. Cut to 30/40cm lengths.
LML
LML
collector_and_buyer

I think he means to use the bracken fern as a place for the finches to build their nest in,not as a nesting material.
Rob

collector_and_buyer wrote:I think he means to use the bracken fern as a place for the finches to build their nest in,not as a nesting material.
Yes I used to put them in empty cans mounted to the sides of my aviary to make a mass of "bracken bushes" to build their nests in. Never had a sick bird and that was using fresh ferns not dried out. I'm sure i even remember the finches pecking at it. I'm not game to use it now after reading about how toxic it supposedly is.
elferoz777

Careful. I had goldfinches get tangled in the dry bracken.

Its also a magnet for bird rings if they are a bit loose.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Tiaris

It holds its shape very well when dried out & would be an insignificant risk of being eaten by finches, especially when dry. Very good for filling wire cylinders with for finch nest sites.
Rob

Tiaris wrote:It holds its shape very well when dried out & would be an insignificant risk of being eaten by finches, especially when dry. Very good for filling wire cylinders with for finch nest sites.
Yes it holds shape really well. I read that it remains toxic even when dry. As i said, i used it for years with no problem. The birds loved it.
VR1Ton

I don't have a problem with it, I cut it when it's dead & put in wire cylinders, Wrens in particular love it, so did the Masks when I had them
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cant be too bad...Marcus Pollard has a good statement on it..... :thumbup:
Quote " Failing access to various Melaleucas and Tea-trees then you could do far worse than cutting the humble Bracken Fern and placing these in your holders. A word for the young player here, cut your Bracken green then lay it flat and allow it to dry before placing it in your aviary as, if placed in green, it will look great for about 2-3 days before it wilts and looks decidedly ‘daggy’! Lay it flat and allow drying and it looks A-1 for the entire breeding season. When it gets a little ‘crusty’ just throw away the entire clump each year, what could be easier! " Unquote
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
davally

Hi Rob,
I found a list of safe and toxic plants for finches before hubby and I started buying plants for
our raised gardens that are in the aviary. Bracken fern is in the toxic section. It tells you
what can happen too depending on the toxic plant eg mouth ulcers, breathing difficulties etc
There were a few plants I already had that I couldn't put in with them.
We are beginners in having birds so needed all the help we could get online before we started
building our aviary. Our first mistake was digging a hole nearly a metre deep in the middle of
the aviary for a pond, much to hubby's dismay we found out finches can drown especially babies.
It's now another garden with plants and veggies and they love it. Added a water feature with
small bowls for bathing in the middle of garden.
Alison & Dave

Return to “Breeding Finches”