are orange breasts polygamus

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Krebsj

Do any breeders know of Orange Breast finches being polygamous. I have two hens setting with the one cockbird.
Tiaris

Not normally. They typically have a very tight pair bond.
arthur

I guess in about a fortnights time you will know the answer . . but then again maybe not

Some birds don't read the memos
arthur

Well . .

Has the mystery been solved?

Are O-B's polygamous?
Rob

I am also interested if 1 cock will breed with 2 hens for this species as well as blackhearts? Can anyone give feed back for either??
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rob wrote:I am also interested if 1 cock will breed with 2 hens for this species as well as blackhearts? Can anyone give feed back for either??
Wouldn't think so as both parents share nesting duties..unless both hens share same nest highly doubtful... :think:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
hanabi

Krebsj wrote:Do any breeders know of Orange Breast finches being polygamous. I have two hens setting with the one cockbird.
I have two pair in a breeding cage that sits only a metre or so from where I work in my office, so I get a "bird's eye view" of what goes on in that cage.

The hen of pair 1 will freely mate with the cock of pair 2 when cock 1 is not looking. Also, cock 1 will try to mate with hen 2 when cock 2 is not vigilant enough (but she rejects his attempts). I'm guessing that if I only had one cock and two hens in that cage both hens would mate with the cock but I have no idea what the nesting arrangements would be. Probably only one nest would be built and only one hen sitting, with the 2nd hen being simply "a bit on the side" for the lucky cock.

Ross
Rob

hanabi wrote:
Krebsj wrote:Do any breeders know of Orange Breast finches being polygamous. I have two hens setting with the one cockbird.
I have two pair in a breeding cage that sits only a metre or so from where I work in my office, so I get a "bird's eye view" of what goes on in that cage.

The hen of pair 1 will freely mate with the cock of pair 2 when cock 1 is not looking. Also, cock 1 will try to mate with hen 2 when cock 2 is not vigilant enough (but she rejects his attempts). I'm guessing that if I only had one cock and two hens in that cage both hens would mate with the cock but I have no idea what the nesting arrangements would be. Probably only one nest would be built and only one hen sitting, with the 2nd hen being simply "a bit on the side" for the lucky cock.

Ross
I have 2 pairs together and the 2 hens are currently hanging out with 1 cock and chasing the other away. The one that's not part of the group is a recent addition though, but the hens chased the last cock too. So it sounds similar.

Return to “Breeding Finches”