Green singer mating behaviour?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
fraudster

Hi all,
Bought a pair of green singers about a week ago, and been observing that the female has been begging for food from the male. The male is starting to sing. When i observe, the male tries to regurgitate food but doesnt end up feeding her. Is this a sign of them coming into condition? Im in melbourne and its still the middle of winter - is there breeding season not in spring? Cheers, fraudster
Alf63

My Singers breed from Autumn through winter and into spring.

Once the hot weather arrives in my area (November onwards) they shut up shop for the year.

The activity your seeing is part of normal mating. My hens leave the nest as soon as they hear the key go in the aviary door so it isn't always obvious they are sitting. The nest is reasonably small, depending on the aviary it can be hard to find at times, although mine tend to reuse the same nest multiple times.

Regards

Alf63
blocker

Just seen your post fraudster, how did the singers end up, any luck? cheers blocker
fraudster

Hey @blocker
Nothing yet - false alarm! Sometimes they squabble sometimes they feed each other. I think the female is getting a bit defensive over one of the cup nests - not sure if its a sign of wanting to breed. What about you?

Return to “Breeding Finches”